Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Buy government land for real cheap.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 03-04-04, 09:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
cyber mouse45
Cyber Cheesiest Senior

10 Year Badge

Buy government land for real cheap.

Take a look here. Ok, so this is some kind of hoax, right? I mean how can you get land this cheap, and how can there still be more than 50 million acres still available? Something sounds fishy.

I get it, this must be land on the side of a cliff in the desert.

My Heatware
cyber mouse45 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-04, 09:45 PM   #2
ashenfang
The Jet Man!

Quote:
I get it, this must be land on the side of a cliff in the desert.
yep, pretty much right. There is lots of land that the government still owns that they sell on a regular basis. Much of it though, you can't "build on"

Old 03-04-04, 09:50 PM Thread Starter   #3
cyber mouse45
Cyber Cheesiest Senior

10 Year Badge

Ah, so you can get land that cheap, but it's 99% worthless.

Heh, you see the two pictures on that site? I bet the land looks nothing like that.

My Heatware
Old 03-04-04, 10:15 PM   #4
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Useless depends on how you define the word. The land is cheap and you can build on it. Small aircraft can be had on e-bay for prices comparable to new Hondas. Instant vacation home.

If you are into SETI you could probably find those old 10 foot diameter satellite dishes that people used to have 20 years ago for cheap on e-bay as well. With 20 acres, you could set up a VLBI SETI observatory. Half a dozen dishes spaced around a 20 acre lot could be linked into a radio telescope that would bring in data comparable to the Arecibo observatory.

I am sure there are other uses but those are two decent options.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 01:14 AM   #5
Krusty
Insane Overclocking Clown

10 Year Badge

I'd think it's worth doing just because it's land. If you and every one of your relatives claims land and passes it to family in their will, there's gonna be a big chunk of land owned by your family once land starts becoming a scarce thing.

I'd say look for some land as close to civilization as you can. For $20, the value can only go up.

Old 03-05-04, 12:28 PM   #6
Dylruss

What about property taxes, I know it might not be much, but doh! comes to mind. Would be cool though.
Dylruss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 12:43 PM   #7
deRusett

If you read it carefully you notice they don't say how much the land costs, ONLY how much the Packet costs to get the information to file for land claims.

basically you are paying 20 bucks for forms you probably can get for free from the Government.

if you follow the links you notice they also have "great deals" on cars and Government surplus

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 01:54 PM   #8
champdog

Yeah, I thought it was just $20 for the packet too, but then later down it says this:
Quote:
Do I have to buy this from the government?

Ans.

No; there is nothing to buy; the only charge is a filing fee of approx. $1 per/acre.
That is basically telling us that the land is free, besides the filing cost? I doubt land like that is even worth the time it takes to fill out the packet.
champdog is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 03:49 PM   #9
sandman001
Just Freeze It

10 Year Badge

depends on your value of worth.

Personally, if I was over 18, I'd do it.

$21 to start, adn another $20 a year isn't bad for 20 acres.

Could turn around and sell it in 10 years for alot more than that if a community springs up.
sandman001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 06:44 PM   #10
snvpa

yeah tis worth the 20 bucks to me for the info, I'll let you know when I get it.
snvpa is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-04, 10:53 PM Thread Starter   #11
cyber mouse45
Cyber Cheesiest Senior

10 Year Badge

My parents are thinking about getting it too. I don't know what we would use the land for though.

My Heatware
Old 03-06-04, 02:40 PM   #12
Krusty
Insane Overclocking Clown

10 Year Badge

quick note to make sure everyone notices this:

IT IS NOT A .GOV WEB SITE. IT IS A .COM WEB SITE. This would mean that is particular web site is not a government web site.

To me, this means that the people at this web site are charging you $20 for a booklet on how to go and get this land. This booklet provides you with information that you could obtain yourself. If you follow the links on that site, it takes you to a site where you can get booklets on buying stuff from police auctions. Chances are that booklet would simply say "check your local classifieds ads for police auctions." Out here, they post it in the classifieds just like the way people sometimes post garage sales.

I'm willing to bet you spend $20 on a booklet that lets you know how to spend $5000 on a plot of land.

Old 03-07-04, 01:07 PM   #13
whooping_a_panda
Mr Slave Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by cyber mouse45
My parents are thinking about getting it too. I don't know what we would use the land for though.
an investment, realestate is nearly the best investmant a person can make, 10 years ago my family bought two lot of land in minnesota for just over 10000 USD, they were justa a little over 2 acres each. We built a house on one costing 180,000 and left the other empty. Ten years later they sold the house for 230,000 and the spare lot for nearly 40 grand.

I'm on the karma payment plan. -- My Heatware
whooping_a_panda is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-04, 01:37 PM   #14
Malpine Walis
Disabled

After a single google search I got the real deal on this. For free!!!

http://www.blm.gov/nhp/what/lands/re...4sal/index.htm
Old 03-07-04, 06:09 PM   #15
JigPu
Inactive Pokmon Moderator

10 Year Badge

Sounds cool, except for the possible price...

Quote:
On the average, what would public land cost per acre?
There is no "average" cost. Each parcel is evaluated separately through established appraisal procedures, based on the value of surrounding parcels. Fair market value is determined for each parcel. No parcel can be sold for less than fair market value.
Of course, if you get unimproved property with no access I'd imagine it's fair market value to be pretty low...

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-04, 03:29 PM   #16
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally posted by Malpine Walis
If you are into SETI you could probably find those old 10 foot diameter satellite dishes that people used to have 20 years ago for cheap on e-bay as well. With 20 acres, you could set up a VLBI SETI observatory. Half a dozen dishes spaced around a 20 acre lot could be linked into a radio telescope that would bring in data comparable to the Arecibo observatory.
Buddy that is so damn cool
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-04, 08:03 PM   #17
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Thank you. I do two shows a night, three on Friday and Saturday.
Old 03-08-04, 09:30 PM   #18
Quailane

IF you read the page you will notice you are just buying a guide that tells you how to buy the land, not the land itself.

Old 03-10-04, 06:46 PM   #19
Crash893
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

10 Year Badge

these companies do this all the time

if anyone has seen the "goverment grant guy" ( with the????'s all over his "suit")

they basicly make a services off of people being lazy and stupid

all this information is free from the goverment but it reqires a lot of runniing around get form 4-c from office a and get document 3-5-f.a from office b

they put it all in a package and make it sound like they are the only people doing this.

i'm moving to Theory, Everything works there
' I want to be the unwobbling pivot at the center of an ever-revolving universe; I want to be still.'
Crash893 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-04, 06:51 PM   #20
blackjackel

Shouldnt this be on the cyber deals forum?

Why would a government website be .com

shouldnt it be .org?

Yeah, government does sell lots of land for cheap, but i wouldnt get it from that website, or at least i would definately call some government agency up before doing it
blackjackel is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.