• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu voltage Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowbaby

i have "powermax" psu that came with my case.
i have looked in the stickys for a clue but did not find it
mbm5 and in the bios give almost the same readings.

3.3=3.06 to 3.12'
5=5.03 to 5.16
12=11.30 to 11.79

-12=12.52
-5=5.50

and the listing on the side of the psu reads

3.3=28A
5=30A
12=30A

so why all the chang in voltage in mbm and why are they under there voltage rateing.
so what gives time for more power or what????:(

Is it "PowerMax" or "PowMax"? How much did this PSU cost you?

Often no-name PSU manufcaturers give misleading numbers... 30A on the 12V rail is very high. You'd get that much with something like an Antec or Fortron 550 watt. But your PSU is giving pretty low voltages on the +12V rail on your MBM5 readings. So it is unlikely that the PSU has that much current on that rail (or any of teh stated fisgures for other rails).

PSU makers mislead the buyer in many ways - sometimes they load each rail individually and come up with a high load figure; mind it - if they were to load other rails at the same time, the combined load figures would come much lower. And at times they might simply to put crazy figures on their labels.....

Reputed brands usually put more accurate figures, so it's safer to buy those ones.

are there any ways to test for voltages with a mutlimeter to see if mbm is reading the right voltages?
thanks for the input

you can test the volts at the atx plug with a volt meter
if you can come up with the list of wires

Back