• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why have 2 WD hard drives failed in a row?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gplracer

I bought a hard drive in January. It was a Western Digital 120gb jb drive. It ran fine but then it failed after about a week or so. It took it back and got another one. This one made a weird click noise every once in a while starting right after it was installed. Could my hard drive be going bad and contributing to this? It is a channel well 420 watt power supply. Motherboard monitor seems to read fine. The lowest thing was 11.67 on the 12v rail. I do have the the following hooked up to it. The power supply is about three years old.

1700+ @ 11x215=2365mhz
Epox 8RDA+
5900 video card
120gb hd
160gb hd
cd writer
dvd writer
tv tuner
2 x uv lights
4 x led fans
floppy
scanner (usb power only)

Is there enough air flow through the hard drives? I've lost harddrives in two seperate instances because it overheated. Make sure to have a fan pointing at it if that's the problem.

The hard drive cable has three plugs on it, the 'bottom' one goes to the motherboard and the 'middle' and 'top' ones go to the hard drives. if you have a hard drive plugged into the middle one while the top one is free that can damage the hard drive, so can a rounded hard drive cable or one that is badly kinked.

Wathnix said:
The hard drive cable has three plugs on it, the 'bottom' one goes to the motherboard and the 'middle' and 'top' ones go to the hard drives. if you have a hard drive plugged into the middle one while the top one is free that can damage the hard drive, so can a rounded hard drive cable or one that is badly kinked.

What proof do you have of this?

Wathnix said:

its true that low quality rounded cables can cause problems, i was having a problem with a drive, and it went away when i switched to flat cables.

But plugging into the middle connector without using the end one will NOT dammage a drive, i know that for a fact.

I would say that Heat and PSU are the two most likely problems... CW PSU's can be hit and miss from what I hear, some are good and some plain suck.

Come one guys. bottom, middle.... what is that?
The new standard 80 wire cable must be set up like this:

Blue = motherboard
gray = slave
black = master

Not everyone has the fancy color coding. I do not... but you should still be able to tell by the spacing if you do not have color coding. The master and slave are closer together on the cable than slave and mobo connector - so you can tell which end is which even if they aren't coded by color or labeled.

Back