• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would be faster and by how much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

i was gonna get a hitachi 250GB harddrive, which has 8MB cache, 7200rpm, and 8.5ms seek time, which is the fastest ide drive i know of.

is the 74GB western digital sata raptor 10000rpm faster? and by how much, and would 2 case fans be enough to cool it?

Yes the SATA Raptor would be faster, it has a seek time of around 5 ms, and it would remain stable with no cooling.

Just depends on if money were an issue. It it weren't, I'd suggest on the raptor. The faster seek time and transfer rates will help. Later on you could upgrade with another raptor and run them in raid :)

yea thanks for the info, im gonna get the 74GB raptor because i dont need to much space, and i would rather load super fast. thanks for the info.

It's not going to be "super fast", but sure it is faster than any IDE drive. If you really want "super fast", try this instead.

well really though SCSI isn't the great big badass it once was. It'll whoop any raptor or IDE in a server environment where it's getting hit by 100 users for data at once, but for a desktop, the raptors are damn close to SCSI. Just checkout how it stacks up at www.storagereview.com

Back