• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running out of ideas... how can I overclock further?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aedseed

Registered
I've tried so many different things to try and get my P4 higher, but nothing seems to be working. Here are the specs:

CPU:
P4 3.0C oc's to 3.30 maximum stable (as far as I can go without crashing)
FSB is 220 x 15
Thermalright SP-94 w/ Arctic Silver 5 w/ Tornado 92mm 6000rpm
36-38C idle, 44-47 Load.
Vcore at 1.575v (default is 1.50)

Memory:
Corsair XMS TwinX PC4400 at 3-4-4-8 default timings, 1:1 ratio w/ FSB
Vdimm at 1.5v default

Windows XP Pro
Mobo: Giga-byte 8IK1100 w/ latest BIOS (F9)
2 x 34gb SATA 10k raptors RAID 0

I've tried upping the voltage to 1.68v, upping the Vdimm to 1.7, even upping the AGP voltage a bit just for the heck of it. I've tried almost every conceivable combination of voltages and FSB speeds, but nothing beyond an FSB of 220 will run Prime95 stable for more than 30 mins.

My memory timings are at they're factory defaults, relaxed. It's top-of-the-line memory - and I'm fairly sure the problem does not lie in the memory, as I've tried running alternate FSB to MEM ratios, (1.6, 1.3, etc)., which severely underclocked the memory, but did not let me clock my CPU any higher.

I can POST just fine with clock speeds of 3.5-3.6 ghz, but anywhere during the boot process I will either get a BSOD or just a complete lockup. I don't think temps are a problem, as I'm running a pretty decent hsf combo as stated in the specs.

Are there any settings I just haven't tried yet? I'm really running out of ideas as to how to overclock more. I'm reluctant to accept that I just have a "weak chip", but this may very well be the case.

If anyone has any crazy ideas that just might work, I'd be more than happy to try. At this point I'm willing to try anything... as always, any help would be truly appreciated!

(btw, I hope this is not in the wrong forums, I did browse around a bit and this seemed like the most appropriate place).

Take the VDDR to max 2.85v. And CPUv to 1.6V, AGP to 1.6V, PAT to standard. Spread spectrum disabled.

Last edited:
I upped my Vcore to 1.68 and my vdimm to 1.7v (I don't know what VDDR is), and AGP to 1.6.

Boots and runs windows (I'm posting now) at about 3.5 ghz (233 fsb x 15), but it wouldn't boot to windows at 235 fsb).

Only thing I can think of is to up the Vcore more, but in the BIOS it goes from 1.68 to 1.72, should I jump all the way to 1.72? I thought anything past +0.2 v past normal vcore was dangerous?

Oh, and my mobo does not support PAT, so no worries there. Also, what is spread spectrum?

well 250x12 is a bit different from 250x15...

but anyway, i'm fairly convinced that i've just reached my cpu's limit. i bought all that expensive cooling equiptment and ram for nothing =[

aedseed said:
well 250x12 is a bit different from 250x15...

but anyway, i'm fairly convinced that i've just reached my cpu's limit. i bought all that expensive cooling equiptment and ram for nothing =[

Change the cpu to one that you do more research on that will actually overclock to what your expecting! Problem solved.

up vcore and vdimm to the next level...if you can get 240, then up fsb untill unstable, then up vcore untill stable, then up fsb/vcore until temps are max about 65-70º also, try to loosen up your ram timings and see if you can't get 250

with that cooling he should be able to hit 3.5 some ppl can get that with stick cooling and very little vcore. I think that u might have a dumb chip there bud. Get a 2.6c or 2.8c that will or should solve ur problems. But hey that oc u have ain't nothing to scoff at as i only have 2.1 on my 2400+ (Damn kt-600 knew i should have gotten NF-7rev2 o well)

Thats weird, i have the same mobo and cpu with slower ram, 3200. And i was able to OC it to 3.4 with standard voltages no problems and no heat problems.

new chip

You have more than likely reached your chip's max for speed.

I would highly recommend the M0 stepping 2.8C or 3.0C. These new chips overclock well at low temps compard to prescotts.

I have 3.0C @ 3.75 Ghz (250 fsb) with Geil 4200 running (1:1).

Temps are 34C idle & 44 C underload. I using ASUS P4C800-E motherboard. I hate the voltage regulator on this board, it is weak & decreases by .05- .09 volts underload. So I am running my cpu at 1.7 and it drops to 1.61 under heavy load Prime95. But the chip is stable. I tried a 2.8E on it & could not hold a good overclock with it. I have water cooling.

So get a M0 stepping 2.8C or 3.0C and enjoy the overclock.
My 3.0C is SL6WK / batch L347B039. packed 02/05/04.
This chip is sweet. I finally have the power of a 3.0 GHz chip with a 1000 bus. I love it for my games.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but...

What is a M0 stepping CPU?

And also, are the latest Northwoods (recently produced I mean, not speed) the best performers on average? I bought mine about 4 months ago.

M0 stepping are the chips that overclock most consistently to higher FSB(front side bus)s and overall chip performance.

Well I guess it makes some sense now - my P4 is a SLK6W (or whatever, not the WU) - and I bought it last year around June. So it's probably not a very good chip for overclocking anyway. Oh well... next time I buy a CPU I'll make sure it has some overclocking potential. ;)

Back