• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max safe n/b temps on NF-7 m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I am wondering how high I can let this get. I am @ 40C on my n/b. I am trying to go silent and was just wondering.this is the highest it gets after 3 hours of UT2004. It should go down with my vid card installed.

Im pretty sure thats just the mobo temperature and not specifically the temperature of the northbridge. I would assume that the nb temp is actually higher than the system temp depending on the type of cooling you have on it. 40C seems very high for a system temp though.

well it cant be the case temp as it is the same as ambient. It has to be the n/b temp because I put a new h/s on it and the temps dropped. I then put a fan on it and it dropped more. I then removed the fan and they went up again. I can put a rheo on the fan and adjust the speed and it directly afects that temp.

"well it cant be the case temp as it is the same as ambient."

NOT! ! Internal case temps normally are 20-25 degrees warmer than ambient room temp.

Yeah, he's running very warm because ABIT Hardware Dr shows my NF7 System temp 30C confirmed by SpeedFan showing the same.

Test it.

Put a mecury thermometer in the top-middle of the case about two inches from the top, close it up and run it two hours then check temps and you should see 20-25 degrees warmer than ambient room temp. If it's appreciably more then your internal case temp is to hot.

Another test; Take the side off and run it and see if the temp goes down.

I cut and pasted this from my reply in another forum about overheating.
"Fans with a dba (decibel) rating of 35 and below are considered quiet. http://www.nexfan.com/su80x80x25fa1.html

Now here comes the curve ball; I connected the 35CFM 33dba fan and let it stand alone free of air restriction and it ran very quiet and pumped a lot of air. (Careful because I know those blades will draw blood. . .) Mounted the same fan in the case and WHOA !, . . . much more noise and by touchy-feely a lot less air flow. Hmmm . . . Eyeballing the tiny holes I figured they restricted air flow at least 40% reducing air flow to maybe 20CFM causing the blades to starve for air and buffet causing noise. OK, I know a trick . . . Took my aircraft metal snips and cut out the tiny holes leaving one big, unrestricted hole, used a fan grille guard, and guess what? Ran quiet and pumped a bunch of air same as standing alone, so go figure. . . ."

Take it for what it's worth, I fail to see the logic in restricting case vent fan air flow to that degree, so I fixed it.

let me give you guys an idea to why I know the case temps are the same as ambient. Lookhere .
You might notice, I dont have a side panel to "remove". This case was designed to not heat up.:)

WHOOPS! I assumed you had a production line case like most of us but I have a question; You have components inside that heat up so why doesn't the inside get any warmer than ambient?

think of it this way: If you put 1 cup of water in a pot on your stove with the burner on high, it will boil fast. But if you take the same stove set on high and try to boil 10 gallons, it would never boil. The same principle applies here. It takes more enerygy to heat 10.8 cubicft of air( the volume of the upper portion of my case) than it takes to heat 2 cubicft(the entire volume of the kiaser III gaming case). Since heat causes air to expand and rise, it wil naturally flow towards the top of the case. Well I have vents built into my case at the top to allow for the heat to exit the case and not build up. The mobo would have to catch fire to heat up my case more than it is now.

But if you take the same stove set on high and try to boil 10 gallons, it would never boil.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the water will never boil, as it will most definitely boil if given enough time. On another note, I still am pretty sure that the temp sensor is just a mobo temp sensor and not actually the nb temp sensor.

Woods, I don't follow . . .

First I'd like to compliment your attention to detail, fine craftsman and skill.

OK, . . . I understand heat rises and all that, science 101. Are you telling me/us, if you put a thermometer inside your case it is the EXACT-SAME temperature as ambient room temp . . . ??

Stay with me here: If a closed area like your case, is said to be "stilll," heat must be present somewhere in the room to cause the air to rise and circulate, so the air is not still. OK, now, if heat IS present then you have circulation. However, if there is NO heat then the air is still and won't circulate.

I'm not a Thermodynamics engineer and maybe I'm confused, but I fail to grasp the concept of how your case contains warm components causing circulation in your case from heat rising and inside your case be the same as ambitent room temp. Way I see it, if both temps were the same then there would be no circulation and that isn't what you say here because you say heat exits the case. "Well I have vents built into my case at the top to allow for the heat to exit the case and not build up."

You catching my drift here? If the case and room were the same the air would not rise and exit the case because there would be no heat present (warmer than room temp) inside the case. Therefore, for heat to exit the top of your case the air inside the case must be warmer than ambient room temp.

I'm going to bed. Nite-nite. OldBird

honneycut: after your first post here I placed a thermometer inside my case @ the top and there is a difference between ambient and case temps. my comp room is curently @15C and my case temp is @17C. I knew it was at least very close.

Thanks Woods.

Whew! You had me worried and I was thinking they might have to rewrite the book on Thermo-dynamics, but now I feel better. You Sir, have a gift-blessing with talent and brains to plan and construct a case as fine as yours and ain't no school or university you can go to to learn that. You also posess the talent to *think* and, strange as it may sound, everyone doesn't know how to just sit down and let their mind be still and think.

You're the kind of person I'd like to sit down with and have a cold one and chew the fat. My neighbor is a gifted computer man and keeps 320 school computers running and the way he can explain in easy to understand terms how and why C's and their components work is neat. They built a new school here and they said design and set up the computer system. He told them where to run the wires and how many, set up the servers, negoitated contracts for purchasing the C's then networked all 320 C's.

Many years ago when DOS was the only OS known to man he got a college degree in History and part time job with computers and to him they were a piece of cake so took a C course and found that's his talent. I got heavy into C's about two years ago and needless to say he has been a tremendous resource for me.

Among other things, I'm a pilot and have a self-made-multi-millionaire friend with a fantastic brain for business making money. Wanted to learn how to fly and after FORTY hours of instruction still had no concept of how to land the aircraft. Most students solo after ten-fifteen hours and he was nowhere near solo ready so instructor wisely said flying not a good idea for him. Flying just not his talent so he hung flying up. Smart man . . .

Wife just said b'fast is ready so must run. Enjoyed the chit-chat and look forward to conversing with you in the future. Have a nice day. OldBird

You Sir, have a gift-blessing with talent and brains to plan and construct a case as fine as yours and ain't no school or university you can go to to learn that. You also posess the talent to *think* and, strange as it may sound, everyone doesn't know how to just sit down and let their mind be still and think.
:beer: Would like that as welll.
I found the awnser (kinda) to my Q. This is a quote from sindwindercomputers.com
Northbridge chip has been widely known to operate in high temperatures of 80 Celsius
So if it can run up in the 80C range then it should be fine in the 40C range. Thank you guys for the responses. :)

Back