• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy network prob, need help quick(in the next day)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

I was called to fix a network at a local business today. Before today I had a single hub set up to share files and the internet (through naviscope) to 3 computers(one being a file and interent server, the files being a tax prog and its db). Well today she got DSL. they told her to buy a router and connect it to her hub through uplink and to her modem. Well because the phoneline on that side of the office was bad i moved the dsl modem and router to where the server computer was(across the room from the two other computers which are kind of close).
so now it looks like:
Dsl modem->router internet port(wan)

router switch port 1->server computer
router switch port 2-> hub uplink port

hub port 2/3->computers 2/3

The server computer works fine but the computers on the hub cannot connect to each other and they cannot ping the routewr or server. Also computer 3 picks up the ip 192.168.1.1 which is the router!!! (which confused the hell outta me when i tried to ping the router then connect! lol) Computer 2 gets the random 169.x.x.x ip addy whcih is normal for a comp connected jsut to a hub w/o configuration. The REALLY weird thing is computer 3 can sometimes see computer 1 in the workgroup and computer 1 can see 2 but they cannot connnect!!!! AAAHHHHH (it says network path anavailable) Does anyone have any idea whats going one? All comps are XP, comp 2 has a 10baseT ehernet card, 1/3 have 100baseT, the router and hub are both linksys and i cannot remember what the dsl modem is but its working fine. The router uses a switch, am i allowed to use a switch and hub together? If not can anyone fugure out what is wrong? The hub WAS perfectly fine!! now back to basic config 1/2/3 on hub it won't work thoguh i only played 5 mins with it back to normal so i may not be set up just right. Thanx in advance every1.

169 addresses are usually assigned to an NIC with DHCP enabled but is unable to reach a DHCP server. Have you tried manually setting the IP addresses of the other two machines onto the 192.168.1.0 network?
I just noticed a problem, if you are using DHCP to give IP addreses to the two machines on the hub, the request packets to the DHCP server cannot be routed and will fail to be transferred between two Layer2 devices (hubs switches) You will need to assign static addresses to the two other boxes. Network connectivity should be restored :D

coin said:
169 addresses are usually assigned to an NIC with DHCP enabled but is unable to reach a DHCP server. Have you tried manually setting the IP addresses of the other two machines onto the 192.168.1.0 network?
I just noticed a problem, if you are using DHCP to give IP addreses to the two machines on the hub, the request packets to the DHCP server cannot be routed and will fail to be transferred between two Layer2 devices (hubs switches) You will need to assign static addresses to the two other boxes. Network connectivity should be restored :D
Thank you!! I will do that! I'll post back to see if it works, if anyone else sees a problem please tell me because i only have one more chance to fix it. Thanks again!

sounds good what coin said, but have U disabled the xp firewall on all rigs?

Last edited:
if one of your machines on your hub is being assigned 192.168.1.1, it sounds like that machine has internet connection sharing turned on. The router, if linksys and still on default, will be 192.168.1.1 and will not hand out that address, so the computer has to be getting it from somewhere else (ie. static or another dhcp server.)

what other settings were changed in the move?

you could try manually setting your ip addresses to the 192.168.1.x network, but that should not be necessary.

edit: ahh, i just reread this(it's early and i'm tired :( ) how were you sharing the internet before you got the router? ICS? like i said earlier, it sounds like you have the router trying to assign ip addresses and another machine trying to assign them.

Last edited:
Got everything fixed :-D I took out the hub, re wired a little bit, and reformatted the computer that was giving me trouble haha. Its what tech support would tell me to do if I couldn't figure the prob out, lol. I made the owner of the business very happy and hopefully she will spread great word of mouth about me and she wants a website YAY. so thanx everyone for helping save me!

Back