• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[news]A Motherboard That Doesn't Require An OS [slashdot]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

My Asus P4P800 already has the ablity to play music before the computer boots into windows..

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/08/2319215

Posted by timothy on Monday March 08, @06:48PM

from the why-should-it dept.

An anonymous reader submits a link to this review of "motherboard that allows access to your multimedia devices via a special BIOS. No operating system required! Good for a home entertainment PC I guess." The review says that it will come bundled with a TV tuner card, too.

http://www.extrememhz.com/syp4val-p1.shtml

The motherboard reviews we bring you usually focus on extreme performance, hence our site's name. Today, we will divert our attention

to an extraordinary new motherboard. When we first got word of this new board, we just had to get our hands on one for review. I know what you are probably thinking...Just another P4 motherboard right? Wrong! This board is unlike any other board currently available. Its main target? Those interested in building a Media Center PC. Home Theater and Media Center PC's have gained quite a bit of interest over the past few months and Soyo is quite aware of this growing trend and that is why they have introduced the new SY-P4VAL. Sporting an advanced BIOS technology, this board allows you to turn "it" on without actually turning it on. What? Well, the board features a new version M BIOS ("Direct ON") which gives you access to multimedia functions without having to go through the whole boot up process. Sounds intriguing? Let's have a closer look then...

Packaging & Bundle

**click to enlarge**

**click to enlarge**

Included in the box is a quick start guide, one IDE ribbon cable, one floppy ribbon cable, driver CD, I/O plate and a informative M BIOS start-up guide.

Here is some really good news! Soyo has decided that it will be selling this board complete with a TV Tuner Card so that all can take full advantage of its excellent multi-media capabilities.

**click to enlarge**

Soyo kindly sent a pre-production sample of what will possibly be bundled along with this motherboard.

**click to enlarge**

**click to enlarge**

**click to enlarge**

The attractive blue PCB Tuner Card features a TV antenna input, S-Video input, Composite input and audio in/out jacks. There is a small receiver jack as well but it is likely that Soyo will include a remote receiver like the one below.

**click to enlarge**

**click to enlarge**

The receiver basically plugs into your motherboard's keyboard and mouse ports to allow keyboard/mouse functionality via the remote control.

**click to enlarge**

**click to enlarge**

I love the remote control, especially when compared to ATI's bulkier remote. I prefer the roller ball over the D-Pad style.

Specifications

Processor
Click here for maximum CPU support
Chipset Description
VIA P4M266A / 8235 chipset
Supports 533/400 MHz FSB
Graphics Info
on board 32MB shared graphic
Form Factor
ATX
Memory Description
Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM 2.5V DIMM sockets support up to 2GB (DDR 200/266)
One 168-pin SDRAM 3.3V DIMM Socket support up to 1GB (PC100/133)
Expansion Slots
Five 32-bit Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant)
One AGP slot (support 2x/4x mode)
IDE Type
UDMA 100/133
IDE Description
Two independent channels for Four IDE devices
Supports up to PIO Mode 5 and UDMA 100/133
Two PCI bus mastering ATA E-IDE ports
Audio Description
On board 6 channels AC97 Codec audio solution
IO Port Description
Two RS-232 serial ports (1*rear, 1*pin header)
One parallel printer port (SPP/EPP/ECP mode)
One FDD port (Supports 3 mode, 1.2/1.44/2.88 MB FDD
Provides IrDA/FIR ports with optional cable for transceiver
Provides 6 USB2.0 ports (4*rear, 2*pin header)
IO Connection Description
PS/2 Mini-DIN mouse & keyboard ports One RJ45 connector
Four USB ports
One VGA ports
One D-Sub 9-pin male serial ports
One D-Sub 25-pin female printer port
Audio I/O: LINE-Outx1 , LINE-Inx1, MIC JACK x1
BIOS Description
Award PCI BIOS with ACPI function
Supports multiple-boot from E-IDE/SCSI/CD-ROM/FDD LS120/ZIP
2 Mb Flash ROM
Health Monitoring Description
On-board voltage monitors for +3.3V, +5V, +12V, VCORE
CPU fan speed monitor
CPU temperature monitoring through flexible thermal sensor
Dimension Description
Four layers, 30.5 cm x 21.5 cm (12” x 8.5”)
ATX form factor

more info in link.

My Asus P4P800 already has the ablity to play music before the computer boots into windows..

Are you playing an audio cd? Thats a function of your cdrom (and your sound card). Its been possible to do that for a decade.

^^ yeah :) - when i first read the begining of the article i had thought that was all it was but now i see they have like audio player - video players the whole nine yards in that motherboard - pretty nice.

They didn't mention anything about capture capabilities. I wouldn't built a home entertainment pc that justs plays tv/movies. I would need the capture capabilites, and versitility found in a regular OS.

What I'm hoping that we advance to is solid state everything. That way there would be very little waiting for anything.

What I want to know is can it play mp3s off of a hard drive? If it can I think I found the ONLY mother board worth buying for a car computer. Music and video wise at least. Wonder if someone will find a way to hack it and add more programs? GPS or map software, etc....

diggingforgold said:
What I'm hoping that we advance to is solid state everything. That way there would be very little waiting for anything.

They Have those, but last I saw they were like $1000/GB. Not Exactly within most price ranges.

eab said:
What I want to know is can it play mp3s off of a hard drive? If it can I think I found the ONLY mother board worth buying for a car computer. Music and video wise at least. Wonder if someone will find a way to hack it and add more programs? GPS or map software, etc....

Mini-itx running Linux would be more handy. Boot from cf, read-only filesystem, play the mp3s off some random hard drive. You could probably boot in just a couple seconds, poweroff at the drop of a hat with no consequence, and customize the software any way you'd like.

Back