Memory
Forum Jump

Just got PATRTIOT PDC 1gb pack....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 02:04 AM Thread Starter   #1
MadInsane

10 Year Badge

Just got PATRTIOT PDC 1gb pack....

Well, I got this ram for the "before" price of 180 bucks. Came out to 199 with tax and shipping. It is running fine at 3-3-8 CAS 2, 200mhz. BUT, I try and lower the latency to 2-2-5, and problems kick in. I bumped the voltage to 2.7v (from 2.6) and got it stable on memtest at 210fsb--BUT after exiting memtest my computer was locked and i had to clear cmos jumper. Well, I got this ram for a good price, and almost got the corsair twinx dual pack. I am debating whether or not to RMA this damn non overclocking ram right back to outpost. What do u guys think i should do? This ram isnt overclocking very well, but i am saving 100 bucks over the corsair/hyperx ram. I am running an msi k7n2 delta-L mobo, barton 2800+, radeon 9700 pro, turbolink 420 watt ps (soon to be TT butterfly! ) , and dual uv cathode lights. haha. I am borderline sending this ram back, what should i do.....?
MadInsane is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-04, 08:10 PM   #2
lyle

If it isn't defective, you shouldn't RMA it. No manufacturer is going to guarantee that their product will run out-of-spec. If it runs at rated speed, then there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Try to sell it and get something different next time.

heat
lyle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-04, 08:38 PM   #3
Matt761

Quote:
Originally posted by lyle
If it isn't defective, you shouldn't RMA it. No manufacturer is going to guarantee that their product will run out-of-spec. If it runs at rated speed, then there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Try to sell it and get something different next time.
But the stuff isnt running its rated speed of 2-2-2-6. You can Go ahead and rma it IMO. But its still not a bad price for those timings.
Matt761 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-04, 09:11 PM   #4
lyle

I can't find the 2-2-2-6 stuff, all I can find is 2-3-2-5 on their website.

It might help to know what kind of problems you were getting when running at lower timings.

heat
lyle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-04, 10:11 PM   #5
The_Last_Don
Registered

if it's running at 3-3-8 and cant push much higher than 200mhz, I would RMA it. That's well outta spec. If you got the "before" price, that stuff is supposed to have run 2-2-2 or close to it......those were the winbond supply we were led to believe.
The_Last_Don is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-04, 03:45 PM   #6
JDizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by lyle
I can't find the 2-2-2-6 stuff, all I can find is 2-3-2-5 on their website.

It might help to know what kind of problems you were getting when running at lower timings.
This is correct. Outpost.com has it listed wrong. I called and talked to the Patriot respresentative and it is only meant to run at 2-3-2-5 @ 200mhz. If it doesn't do that then RMA it.

Intel E6400 @ 3.2GHZ (1.36v) - Freezer Pro 7
Gigabyte DS3 C1 F8i
2GB G. Skill PK @ 400mhz 1:1 (4-4-4-12)
Asus EN6200 8 pipes enabled
250GB Hitachi T7K250
Fortron Blue Storm 500W
Antec P180
JDizzle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-04, 08:19 PM Thread Starter   #7
MadInsane

10 Year Badge

Yes, I RMA'd it. Just picked up some mushkin 1gb dual pack pc3500 level 1. About 50 bux more expensive, but will actually overclock.

CatLeap 2703 27" 2560 x 1440 S-IPS Super Increbile Trippy Colors Monitor
(w/ only 1 stuck px ;)
4670k haswell @ 4.4ghz 1.2v, Corsair A70 HS
G.Skill 16GB ddr3-1600
Asus z87-a Mobo
Asus GTX 680 + eVGA GTX 680
Samsung EVO 250gb SSD
WD 1TB x 2 RAID-0
Antec 902 Gaming Case
MadInsane is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-04, 09:13 PM   #8
thirdeye
Xtreme refugee

just to be clear..
you arent running this @ specified timings, when trying to run better than spec timings you didnt really up voltage (upvolting .1 on RAM wont do much), and, based on what you said it would most likely run spd timings OK.
so you RMA it. this is why legit customers have such a pain in the ass getting valid RMAs without a hassle.

you bought it not knowing how it would OC, 199 for 1GB is rather cheap, suck it up and dont stick the manufact with your problem...
thirdeye is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Memory
Memory