• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM SPEED to get??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

Hey guys, need some advice after being burned by some patriot dual channel memory which SUCKED. :mad: Im running an MSI nforce2 with barton 2800+, what speed memory (corsair) should i get for lowest latency AND best overclocking?? PC3200, 3500, 3700, 4000? Please be specific when posting, thanks so much for your help!

Will this memory do about 230fsb at 2-2-5? I have heard great stuff about mushkin, I just want to make sure i get the right memory. :D

mushkin level two will do that, but i am not sure about the level one. the only chip that can do 2-2-2-5 is BH-5, the others come close but arent quite able to do it stable. try looking for some mushkin pc3200 or pc3500 in the refurbished products section on newegg, other than that BH-5 is getting harder and harder to find these days.

Well, then, what would you reccommend? corsair or mushkin?? twinx or level one, which is better out of the two? (seeing how level 2 is no longer being produced)

Look into the Mushkin "222 Special" and the OCZ Platinum LE. They both use BH6 chips, which will net you the 2-2-2-X timings that you yearn for. Both makes can hit some high FSB's as well, but you will need a good deal of VDimm to get that potential (At least 3V). If your mobo doesnt support a VDimm that high, then you might want to look into the VDImm mod or a new board if you get either of these sticks and want the best performance out there.

There is still BH5 on the market, albeit it is very expensive. Last I checked, the HyperX 3200 Non-A was still available at Zipzoomfly. The only drawback with that stuff is that it is insanely expensive (the 512 Dual kit is $175, and I saw the 1GB Dual Kit there for over $300). The KHX3000 should also have BH5, but there have been reports of CH5 modules shownig up in it. If you dont want to take the risks with these modules and you are hellbent on BH5, then try and find some used LevelII Black or any other BH5 modules.

Good luck in your search :)

I would only consider PC3200 or PC3500 for an AMD rig. That way you can still obtain high fsb, but with tight timings as well.

Corsair
Mushkin
Kingston Hyper-X

Probably recommend those three brands. Best bang for your buck is the Kingston PC3000 at Newegg. If you can spend a little more, go ahead and get the Corsair or Mushkin. Better to get what you want now versus getting something else you're not happy with and doing this all over again..

Been there, done that.. LOL!!

Seems to be hit or miss, but the overall opinion is that it's a good overclocker. Might look at zipzoomfly, I don't think their stock sells out quite as fast as newegg's, so you might have a better shot at BH-5.

Before you get carried away with different memory modules & high fsb's, take into consideration your motherboard........

I had a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR that actually fried on me once I hit 228 or so fsb.........(assuming you have this board) I think it hits a max at 230-232, but then again I hit it at 228.

I also have a regular MSI K7N2 which also has the Nforce 2 chipset. But that won't go over 200 fsb.......(which it's currently maxed out with). I would recommend some Corsair memory, possibly Corsair XMS PC3200 C2.....for your motherboard. The MSI boards I have had do not offer more then like 2.9 volts to your memory. And I know (from experience) that the Mushkin PC3200 Special "222" will do around 230. Granted you have enough voltage which the MSI boards do not tend to have..........& also it all depends on the memory, maybe I got lucky.

-ºb§

Posted by asdasd:
what are the chances of it being bh5/6 if you order from the kingston site?

Probably slim to nil. I doubt that the official Kingston store has had BH5 in its stock for quite some time now. I would say your best bet is to order it from Zipzoomfly. I wouldn't recommend trying to get it from Newegg simply because that is where people are getting the CH5 KHX3000 from.

Thanks for you help guys, I picked up some mushkin pc3500 1gb level 1. Waiting on it to come in, and i will post my results in this thread. I'm going to shoot for 2-2-5 at 2.9v and the highest fsb my mobo will let me go.... well see what happens.

with 2-2-2-5, the highest you can hope for with 2.9 volts is 230mhz on the ram. i have that same ram and i got 224mhz with 2-2-2-5 with 2.85 volts. if you do a volt mod to your board and give it 3.2 volts, you could get 230-240mhz which would be sweet. in any case, good luck and we'll be waiting for your results ;)

All I have to say is I hope the board can handle it & 230 would really be pushing it, you'll either get really, really lucky hitting that or you will corrupt bios.

Hey, I JUST got my ram today... Anyways, my bios is not letting me up the voltage to more than 2.7V!!! This is not even enough for this mushkin ram, WTF. Im trying to update my bios. I tried the ram at stock 200mhz and 2-2-5 timings and my computer FROZE. Damn. Mobo is MSI K7N2 Delta-L. Nforce2 Chipset. Any ideas to what is going on with my voltage options? (available are 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and auto) :(

YUP. Just as I thought, my bios is up to date. Could it be my power supply holding me back? How could the ps dis-enable voltage settings in the bios? (ATM, I have an ok 420 watt Turbolink ps) :mad:

Back