• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would you save for a shutttle or a laptop first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trip0d

im getting anew laptop and a shuttle for my dorm next yr..the shuttle serving as my dvd/divx player

right now i can get a 2800+ barton and a sk43g xpc mini barebone for 299.99 both right now

should i save for laptop or get the shuttle?

im going to sell my desktop for the laptop too

not to much :) im easily minipulated plus i have the parents to fund for the shuttle :) so i can sell my other rig in hopes of 2000 bucks for a 12" sony :)

id take the laptop, they may not be quite as fast, but you can take em anywhere, play games in the car(assuming you are a passenger :D ) and at the park or wherever, plus they look cool.

I would get the laptop first. Especially since you will be going to college next year, mobility will be a huge plus ( going to the library or class , etc) you can always play dvd and such on the laptop. Then start saving again after you get the laptop and buy a shuttle if you still really want it.

i am in college :)

the parents will spring for the shuttle if i want it.....im thinking of it cause i have a single dorm next year, so i would use the shuttle as my dvd player and divx player with a tv tuner to hook it to the tv.

during the summer when im home im going to sell my desktop to get a laptop and hope what i have to offer gets at least 2000 bucks for my 12" sony

What the heck is a 12" sony? I know of nothing that sony makes, that's 12" (tongue in cheek), and costs $2k... but if I'm wrong, I sure hope it's fun :)

As a (hopefully) graduating senior I would suggest a laptop They just make life so much easier, especially for group projects. With most schools going wireless the proposition gets even better.

I sure hope the singles there are bigger than the ones here. I could not afford one nor there is no way that you could pay me to live in one, no less a premium. They were tiny to be generious.

Cornel said:

It's a laptop with a 12" display. I assume something like this

i sure hope thats not the lappy he wants. that thing is almost $2000 for a low low end laptop.

512mb ram is nice and so is a 60GB hd but considering it has only a 12 inch screen and a wimpy 1.5ghz cpu. i wouldn't even spend a grand on such a low end laptop.

i got my moms laptop for just over a grand and it kills that one in all aspects.

the only nice thing i see on the specs for that laptop is the 5.5 hour battery life.

it has only a 12 inch screen

That's the whole idea: very lite and ultraportable....

a wimpy 1.5ghz cpu

Hmmm... You do realize that you're talking about a PentiumM (not PIV M). That processor, the wireless lan (802.11) and the Intel 855 chipset make what's called the "Centrino" technology. I saw reviews where a Pentium M @1.4 performed at the same level with a PIV @2.4.

the only nice thing i see on the specs for that laptop is the 5.5 hour battery life

That's another nice thing about Pentium M. It was designed for mobile platforms where battery life is very important. I think it can turn off components that are not in use, saving battery life

Last edited:
ur moms laptop probaby is buit for a gamers type with a battery life of 2 hrs max..i dont care about the power or a huge P4 3.06ghz HT with 2gb ddr and that stuff...

i like the PM and i need the battery life..the msot i would be doing with that laptop would be starcraft..it wont even come near games for all that matters

and the link Cornel posted is the one i want..looking at IBM too though and toshiba..but they dont have 12" or from what i have seen. the onkly probly with the sony is the resolution...

trip0d said:
ur moms laptop probaby is buit for a gamers type with a battery life of 2 hrs max..i dont care about the power or a huge P4 3.06ghz HT with 2gb ddr and that stuff...

i like the PM and i need the battery life..the msot i would be doing with that laptop would be starcraft..it wont even come near games for all that matters

and the link Cornel posted is the one i want..looking at IBM too though and toshiba..but they dont have 12" or from what i have seen. the onkly probly with the sony is the resolution...

my moms lappy is far from a gamer lol its a compaq. its a 1.53ghz 1800, 512Mb ram, don't remember hd size, 15" screen, cd-rw/dvd.
all for $1100 i think with a bag. its pretty comparable to that sony but a hell of alot cheaper.

battery life is pretty good. i can watch a movie and a half on the dvd player before the battery dies.

i still say $1700 is a ridiculous price for that laptop

twump said:

i still say $1700 is a ridiculous price for that laptop

Yeah, but that's because it's coming from Sony, not because it's a crappy machine... Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against sony or their products (actually they make high quality stuff) but I think they are a little overpriced. Same goes for IBM.

Trip0d, a while ago I was in the market for a laptop and Centrino was (obviously) one of the options. Needless to say, I couldn't find one bellow $1100. But, on both HP and Dell sites, I could customize laptops a little better than that Sony and for around 1500. It's true I was looking for a different size, but I still think you can get away cheaper than what you have to pay for that Sony.

My advice to you would be to buy the laptop, but shop around first, visit your local retailers (I had $450 in MIRs)

i have been lookin at the deals..and always brand name makes the price..

the sony is on sale for 1400 1500 right now so its possible that it will come down during the summer when im in the market

my biggest pref is toshiba cause i love toshiba..i had dells before and jsut didnt like them..compaq actually got better as the years progressed.

the sony isnt a definate laptop that i would get..but it has everything besides resolution that i want in a laptop..esp the 12" 15" wouldnt be bad just prefrence

Back