• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far Cry goes GOLD !!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds great, except I hope it's all polished and tweaked out. Somethings were still a bit off, such as AI, and osme minor graphics problems with ati users, but I myself didn't have any. O well. I can't wait.

Arrrr I hate Far Cry.

Mainly because it isn't fun! I don't find doing the SAME. EXACT. PART. 200 times fun! It's not fun whatsoever! It's not rewarding to beat the mission. The AI is pretty stupid. I saw 5 guys running into each other, and watched for 30 seconds. Then 1 guy saw me, shot, and everyone else ran after me and killed me. Then I loaded 10 minutes back at the last checkpoint. Fun.

Zim well all i can say is that it's a demo yeah agreed A.I was slightly weak (okay okay pretty weak) but considering the fact that its a demo and also the kind of work developers have pulled off on the game i think they might have addressed the noted problems in the final version, i have my fingers crossed on this one but definately gonna get it

I thought it looked pretty good, but it had some weird glitches for me where it wouldn't let me run in highest detail and also no matter what I couldn't get any sound from the enemy. I could fire and hear it, but their incoming rounds made no sound so hard to tell where they were lol.

I played the demo for about 5 min. Enough for the game to feel an awful lot like dozens of other games that I have played before. The graphics where pretty good and I had everything set to max just to see if my comp would run it ok and it seemed like it did. I will probably play the demo again and for longer when I have the time, but for what I have already seen it doesnt seem like something that I would run out and buy the day that it comes out. Now if it had co-op that would be a diff. story.

Going through the demo now (later version) ....

the graphic glithes seem gone , but the game is far from what I expected what all the hype its had lately .

The graphics are pretty cool , but I need more than graphics to win me over .
I hope theres ALOT of fixed items in the final version because the demo of the game just feels way-off (wierd) and uncomfortable to play .

*EDIT*

OK ... finished the demo and seems abit better than I had first thought . I could not stop playing it till I finished the demo ... lol
I dont care for the way it " auto game saves" but Ive seen alot worse and it would not keep me from making a purchase because of it .

I guess it may be on a possible buy list now , if the price is right .

Last edited:
I thought the demo was fine for me. It's not an evolution in gaming or anything of the sorts, but I had a blast playing the demo.

As for the AI being dumb and weak, I never encountered it the way you guys did in the game. Actually, whenever I sniped a guy from a mile away while all of his buddies are around, they'll take notice and hide from plain sight. And I had to be really careful with the noise. If I shot someone with the m16, people will come. The AI in this game is alot more smarter than the other games out there.

It reminded me a bit of SoF II only way better. I don't think the AI was bad at all. The guys would hear or see you if you weren't quite and hiding. They worked as a team to flank you and all that good stuff. I thought the AI was better then most any game out today. Maybe it was because the demo is a buggy old version of the game.

In a preview from a magazine (I'll have to check which) if you try to run in and kill the three guys that are usually in one spot in the demo they call in back up and swarm you with 20 guys.

Stealth was interesting because you can actually hide behind foliage. Kind of like the AI has true vision.

Bewt thing though is the gfx that pretty much beat anything out, except maybe MPII, but thats a much different looking game. With an incredible drawl distance and gfx like that I loved it.

OC Noob said:
Maybe it was because the demo is a buggy old version of the game.

I heard rumors that somehow the beta got leaked out, and to prevent word spreading they've released the demo within days (pretty much a lvl taken from the beta). I wonder if these rumors are true?

The demo runs perfectly on my setup. No flickering, no out of place texture, no screwed up sound or anything. If it was a beta, it'll be a damn good demo. :)

Third FarCry demo to be released tomorrow March 15.

From http://www.farcry.ubi.com/ :

"The third and final demo, entitled "Boat," is a Windows XP demo that will release worldwide on March 15. Far Cry will be available for the PC for a suggested retail price of $39.99."

I like the price, and so far the previous two demo releases have played great on the machine in my sig. If the game is actually available on the 23rd i'm definatly gonna pick it up.

elec.tron

[mental note] tell g/f you'll be busy with laundry tue/wed/thu next week [/mental note]

Papier said:

I heard rumors that somehow the beta got leaked out, and to prevent word spreading they've released the demo within days (pretty much a lvl taken from the beta). I wonder if these rumors are true?

The demo runs perfectly on my setup. No flickering, no out of place texture, no screwed up sound or anything. If it was a beta, it'll be a damn good demo. :)

I had some texture problems on rocks, but that was about it.

Can't wait to see the demo tomorrow:D

If you noticed texture issues on your ATI cards, be sure to set AA and AF levels in the ATI Control Panel to "application default" and that will fix it. Having either of the above forced on caused texture errors in the game.

I've already paid the $39.99 and now just waiting for it to come into my local GameStop :) The demos kicked *** on my rig... The AI kicked a lot of *** and was quite good -- none of this "crappy" AI that some folks have been mentioning. The graphics were stellar, especially considering the draw distance and the sheer amount of foliage involved. The vehicle control isn't as nice as Halo, but it's certainly useable. The weapons selection is pretty good; I find it nice to not be allowed to carry fifty guns at once. And gameplay (especially the AI) forces you to use more stealth versus guns-a-blazing like the "normal" first-person shooter.

Overall the demos left me with a very good impression, certainly enough to warrant a purchase. I suck at online deathmatch and I willingly admit it; my kind of FPS is one that I can play at home and really enjoy without having to find a server online.

FarCry is right up my alley, very similar to how Doom3 is sounding with it's "completely unforgivable lack of true deathmatch options" :rolleyes:

Leaked or not, I will not be downloading nor playing a leaked version.

There are a few games that I might be able to justify "testing" via a leak, but those are the types of games that I really wouldn't play and just want to see some of the graphics or options. Yes it's illegal and immoral, and I don't condone it and I haven't done it in years.

But for something like FarCry or Doom3 or HL2, I see absolutely no reason why I can't support the developers with $40-$60 of my cash in return for the entertainment I want. If I genuinely enjoy playing a game, then I'm going to purchase it no questions asked.

Back