• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saliq82

Registered
I know this is a noob question but i sorta need help...i got a mobile 2500 and i cant get it past 2.5 stable but i can post at 2.7... the problem im thinking is that my power supply is weak cause its an antec 350... i was noticing at 2.45g the cpu requires about 130W... so do you think it could be a psu problem. Any tips would be very helpful thanks

mobile 2500(11x222) @ 2.45 [email protected] temps 45-49oC
slk 900a +92mm tornado
nf7s 2.0
2x256 3500 @7-3-3-2
antec 350W psu

blaming on a psu to a some degree is okay.

but blaming on psu too much is not good....

.. because psu do not give you wings..... nor twin-turbo intercooled system to boost xtra mhz..

why i say it... because no matter how good the psu is, if the chip tops out at 2.5ghz @ X cooling and Y voltages, you will not get more mhz out of it.

Having a good, healthy PSU is required, but you need to take the CPU's ability to run such clocks into considerations.

Your instruction would be:

obtain more cooling or/and more voltage.

More cooling will do you good than just shoving up more voltages..

.. because as you up the voltages, the temperature rises. Temperature costs "mhz". Temperature is why preventing from many users to run at 2.0v @ 2.5ghz(example) and couldn't get it to stable when their cpu is rock stable at 2.44ghz(example) at much lower voltage (1.8v)

many of the Bartons top out at 2.3~ 2.5ghz. Some bartons can only do 2.3ghz @ 2.0v @ slk800 class cooling. The CPUs determine your overclock. You don't control CPU. CPU controls you, unless, you supercool it like i do...

Last edited:
Remember 2.5 is waay above average...

Congratulations on getting it to 2.5 stable.

What are the voltages on your PSU when the computer is under full load. Then once we see that, we should be able to tell you whats going on.

c627627 said:
Remember 2.5 is waay above average...

Congratulations on getting it to 2.5 stable.

Well, speaking realistically, its a little below average for a mobile 2500+. But, you're only using 1.85v. Most of the 2.6GHz+ overclocks you see use more than 1.95v. Try some more voltage, and then see how it does.

Gautam said:

Well, speaking realistically, its a little below average for a mobile 2500+. But, you're only using 1.85v. Most of the 2.6GHz+ overclocks you see use more than 1.95v. Try some more voltage, and then see how it does.
well, speaking realistically, it's the other way around.

even more important part is that, we have been talking about "bartons".. not "mobile bartons".

even some m-barton 2400/2500/2600 chips have difficulty doing 2.5ghz..

you get a dud chip, or a medium saphire chip, or golden chip.

EDIT: Nevermind. The thread starter has already stated "m-barton". M bartons usually have a little better luck with high clocks.. but you still run into dud chips..

Last edited:
Back