• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibletzor

Ok guys. I need some help choosing some new ram.

Right now, I've got 2x512 Geil Ultra PC-3200. It runs great at 200 mhz at 2-2-2-11, but craps out around 210, even with 3v.

So i have 2 questions really:

1) Should i go for some better overclocking pc3200 like the OCZ EL Platinum, or get some pc3500 or pc3700 that will run fairly tight timings? I was looking at these on newegg specifically:

Mushkin pc 3500

HyperX pc3700

or this OCZ

2) I would really rather not spend $275 on the 512x2 OCZ pack if I get it, so would dropping from 512x2 of this Geil stuff to 2x256 of the OCZ if I can overclock it way farther than the Geil adversely affect my performance for gaming?

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for what I should get, I'd be more than happy to check them out. This will be goin into the computer in my sig.

another question. what's the difference between the OCZ EL Platinum and the EL Platinum Limited Edition? Are they using different chips? or just a little better quality ram?

The OCZ EL Platinum and EL Platinum LE pc3200 are both rated at 2-2-2-7 i believe. i just can't see a difference between the two except that the Limited Edition is about $30 more.

ok. went and checked out Monarch again. i'd been there before but i guess i didn't look very hard the first time because i found nothing then. (usually buy from Newegg) but i found the Mushkin 222 special dual packs this time :) $275 for the 512x2 pack though :( would dropping from my 1gb of crap ram to 256x2 of the much better mushkin hurt my performance in games do you think?

no it shouldnt hurt anything..mushkin is better than geil newayz...ill buy the Geil from you if your buying another set of RAM....

yeah, it's not really that the Geil is BAD. it does do 2-2-2-11 at 200mhz with 2.8v. it just doesn't go higher than 210 for me. :(

thanks for your help. it'll probably be a little bit before i buy this. just wanted to get an idea of what i want first. i'm buying a 9800 Pro this weekend since Battlefield Vietnam comes out next week and my pre-ordered copy shipped today :D

send me a message on AIM or something sometime and we can discuss a price. probably shouldn't keep bumping this to the top of the list just for this. AIM name is same as my name here.

Back