• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8c capable of fsb=250 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcaro

Registered
I understand that when looking for a 2.8c, I shall go for that highly-acclaimed SL6Z5 model with M0 stepping, right ?
I heard great stories about it - but correct me if I'm worng. Any chance of hitting FSB=250 on air ? If yes, what Vcore could that be ?

yes you can do that on good air cooling ....and with the M0 there is more of a chance of getting a good O/C.....and the voltage ranges from 1.5-1.675 anything over would chance of killing your cpu..but you would have to experiment with the voltages like start at a low voltage and raise the fsb till you cant go no more the raise the voltage then raise the fsb more and so on....

Pardon this newbie question, but how do I find a SL6Z5? A vendor like Newegg doesn't advertise that kind of thing, do they?

the M0 stepping cpu's are just like any other - its a crapshot. you may get 250FSB, you may not. its been known for the most part that you will be able to OC with less of a voltage increase. ive got a 2.4 M0 stepping chip and it can do 3.6ghz on good air (SP-94, panaflo H1B), the only problem here is my memory is holding me back, so im stuck at 275FSB. if you get a good chip, you should be able to do 275FSB or more (2.4ghz CPU, you should be able to do 250 with a 2.8 if you get a good chip, but again, its a crapshot with every cpu). the limit of air is about 3.6ghz give or take. there is not much memory right now that can match a 300FSB chip in 1:1, so if you want 1:1 your looking at some PC4XXX memory. if you dont mind running the 5:4 ratio, you can get some PC3200-PC3500 and run tight timings with the 5:4 ratio. ive read that using PC4XXX with loose timings and 1:1 with the chip is better than 5:4 with tight timings (for intels at least). this is where i made my mistake, with the extra speed of the memory and the 1:1 FSB to memory ratio, it would be a lot faster than my current setup.

I've had 3 2.8s. The first 2 were D1's. A costa rica the did 242 and then a malay that would do 255 at 5/4 which I ran at 250 1/1. I also have an M0 that will do 270 5/4, bench at 277, but run 263 1/1. I agree its a crap shoot, but I think your odds are a little better getting the M0.

Yeah, they can be great chips. BTW, I forgot to say that I'm using 1.65v vcore. gustav. you just need to volt mod your board and just as fast as 1/1 with loose timings. But if you decide that you're going to get some new memory PM me, I'll take your Mushkin off your hands.

i havent decided yet. i love this ram and i feel once i volt mod it will have great potential - my goal is 300FSB on the chip (i know it can do this, i used the 3:2 ratio and it was stable, so my ram is holding me back). that will put the ram at 240mhz with the 5:4 ratio, hopfully 2-2-2-5 timings with 3.2 vdimm. now what im trying to figure out is will my system run better with my chip at 3.6ghz, 1:1 with PC4XXX, 3-4-4-8 timings; or better with my chip at 3.6ghz, 5:4 with the mushkin, 2-2-2-5 timings after a volt mod? i think the mushkin will do better. ive been following another thread on some memory that can do 600mhz, that would be great to run 1:1 with my chip, and i would think the bandwidth would be better, but it seems people are getting close to what im getting right now which is 6000 MB/s. i guess the only way to find out is to do a volt mod, but im broke right now so i cant.

this is totally off topic. so back to the 2.8C. i agree your chances *should* be better with the M0 core, but there are no guarantees. when they first came out, many people couldnt get 240 FSB on the 2.8's, but it should be possible with good cooling/enough voltage. good luck!

Back