• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI KD7 MASTER FSB and General Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

I know that the KD7 does not have pci/agp lock, and the limitations of the FSB is like 150 FSB stable.
SO this is my question if i get a barton (preferably a mobile 2500) where the FSB is 166(333) underclocking it like that @ only 150FSB does that effect anything, also what speed of ECC mem should i get to give me max performance, like is 2700 the fastest the board is going to use or what?

Thanks i am very new to SMP--ROB

Normal barton- will be underclocked and you'd have to up the FSB and multiplyer (if its unlocked which it probably isn't), just to get near stock speed.

Max without mods for an unlocked desktop 2500+ would be 12.5 x 150 = 1875mhz, stock is 1833mhz. For a locked one it'd be 11 x 150 = 1650. If it's unlocked you could do socket wire mods to raise the multi higher than 12.5.

For an unlocked mobile 2500+, the default FSB is 133, and multiplyer is 6 (SMP) or 14 (single). You'd need to break an L3 bridge (to enable SMP and get 6 for default multiplyer) and then stick wires in the CPU socket in order to get the multiplyer up to 16 or 17 for good overclocking.

rxtrom,

just wait a couple of days - I am going to be moding my new Mobile Athlon Bartons (2400) that I got today and will be installing them in my current dually this weekend. I will be taking pictures and will share with everyone here :)

COOL i would love to see the pics

YA i read up on all the modidng i needed to do to make a mobile work in a SMP so i understand all that

I was just curious about the memory benifits and the OC potential w/ a max 150 FSB
is 2700 the fastest memory i will be able to use, and is unbuffered better or registered?

Thanks!!

So @ 150 FSB my mem is running @ 300FSB thats in between 2100 and 2700 SO should i get 2100 and try OCing it to 2700 speeds w/ risk to timmings, or get SO-SO 2700 and underclock it and tighten the timmings??
ANYONE??

Get PC2700. You'll be underclocking it, but you can run it at tight memory settings, which you wouldn't be able to achieve with overclocked PC2100.

Samsung PC2700 (either unbuffered or Registered) has always worked well for me and I've never heard of anyone having problems with it on a K7D system.

Back