Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

My Computer heats up my room!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 07:04 PM Thread Starter   #1
Digital_Cowboy

My Computer heats up my room!

Does anyone else have this problem, I have all the a/c vents closed everywhere in my house except for my computer room and it's still the hottest room in the house. This thing produces a lot of heat.

Old 03-11-04, 07:23 PM   #2
ou_phidelt

I have the same problem. In the summer I have to turn it off at nite just so I can get to sleep.
ou_phidelt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 07:25 PM   #3
honda_man

Re: My Computer heats up my room!

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital_Cowboy
Does anyone else have this problem, I have all the a/c vents closed everywhere in my house except for my computer room and it's still the hottest room in the house. This thing produces a lot of heat.
What are your case temps? CPU temps? These temps will tell you if it's really your computer or the fact that you are using your houses AC system wrong.

Try opening up all your AC vents in the house. You are actually trying to force all the cold air into one room and AC systems do not work like that. The hot air in your computer room really has no place to go because all the other rooms in the house are already warm. If you cool them down then the hot air in you computer room has somewhere to escape to making conditions better for your system. Try making your whole house the same temp. and see what that does for you.

Last edited by honda_man; 03-11-04 at 07:33 PM.
honda_man is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 07:31 PM   #4
Yuriman

Yea, open all the vents, and put a fan in the doorway, like a large box fan. Thats what I do.
Yuriman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 07:34 PM   #5
JoT
You can't fire me, I have tenure!

10 Year Badge

#1 Cause for heat is the monitor, especially if you have a fan in it. I do, and my room is 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house =/

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?
JoT is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 07:38 PM   #6
dead_man311

moniters heat up fast, go to a old gas station or store with some older style registers with the moniter, there so hot it smell's like there burning
dead_man311 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 07:39 PM   #7
tekOC

Same with me, I dont find it as a problem though, my room has NO heating whatsoever, so I use my rig as a heater

Whenever it gets too hot I open the window, 10min later everything is nice and cooled down, my window is always open - at least a crack.

Last edited by tekOC; 03-11-04 at 07:58 PM.
tekOC is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 08:00 PM   #8
rxc

I find that my body is heating up the room more than the computer
rxc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 08:12 PM Thread Starter   #9
Digital_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuriman
Yea, open all the vents, and put a fan in the doorway, like a large box fan. Thats what I do.
do you blow the fan in or out of the room?

Quote:
Originally posted by rxc
I find that my body is heating up the room more than the computer
lol

Quote:
Originally posted by honda_man
What are your case temps? CPU temps? These temps will tell you if it's really your computer or the fact that you are using your houses AC system wrong.
Case temp: 34c
CPU temp: 33c
PSU temp: 39c

Old 03-11-04, 08:12 PM   #10
SewerBeing
Grasshoppa Senior

my pc makes my room very hot, this will become a problem in the summer, right now I can have my window open. Try getting the hot air to leave your room

"Always be sure to flash your bios during lightning storms!" MRD

Please Fold for team 32!
portage > apt > source > rpm > windows update
Gautam is a water buffalo
SewerBeing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 08:13 PM Thread Starter   #11
Digital_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by JoT
#1 Cause for heat is the monitor, especially if you have a fan in it. I do, and my room is 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house =/
My monitor is a LCD monitor, so if I remember correctly, my old 19"CRT was hotter. It does get warm though.

Old 03-11-04, 08:26 PM   #12
rogerdugans
Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...

I have 6 in my cellar: 5 AMD and one Intel.
All overclocked.
4 watercooled.

No other heat in this section of the cellar.

Window is cracked open all winter long and temp doesn't go under 67f.

Ensure proper air circulation and you should be able to balance temps out, but plain and simple, a computer DOES add heat to a room- how much depends on how fast the chip is and the voltage going to it, mainly: a chip that puts out 100 watts of heat will do so regardless of the temp it runs at- only the cpu temp will change with a better cooling system.

That's why many of us used to refer to AMD Athlons as " AMD space heaters."
(PIIIs ran much cooler.)

Old 03-11-04, 08:29 PM   #13
Sentential
Contributing Member

It really sux for me cuz our AC is broke and Im in a dorm room.

Needless to say its been 85*f in here b4.
Sentential is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 08:41 PM Thread Starter   #14
Digital_Cowboy

yeah, it's kinda a catch-22. My PC heats up my room and when my room gets hotter, so does my pc because the watercooler is sucking the hotter room air in.

Old 03-11-04, 09:00 PM   #15
9mmCensor
Disabled

Yeah my PC heats my room, but Canada is still kinda cool outside (0 C outside) so I crack my window and keep the temp down.
9mmCensor is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 09:12 PM   #16
Vio1

My pc definetly keeps my room warm... i close my door at night, and when I leave my room in the morning i hit a cold wall of air when i open the door. All my vents are closed as well as the window... cause i too live in Canada, and I cant stand playing Ut04 with stiff cold fingers.

Old 03-11-04, 09:19 PM   #17
honda_man

Stagnant Air

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital_Cowboy
yeah, it's kinda a catch-22. My PC heats up my room and when my room gets hotter, so does my pc because the watercooler is sucking the hotter room air in.
I would still recommend that you open all vents in your house. I am OSHA(Occupational Safety and Health) certified. I am a program manager for indoor air qualityin a major industrial facitlity. In my knowledge of the field I would definetely say that you need AC going to all rooms in the house. This WILL solve some of the problem. Your AC system is NOT designed to cool only one room. What you are doing is trapping heat in one room by closing off the rest of the vents. I urge you to try opening all the vents in the house and see if it helps you, especially where you are located at. This will be a serious issue for you come the summer months.
honda_man is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 09:29 PM   #18
Dubbin1

Either you guys have rooms the size of a closet or the ventilation in your house sucks ass. There is no way that one computer is going to raise your room temp 10

Thermalright SP97 HS
Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
2 - Maxtor 80gig 8meg cache
1 - Maxtor 320 gig sata
512meg PC2700
GForce 6600
Klipsch 5.1
Antec P160 Case
Dubbin1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 09:53 PM   #19
penquissciguy

My computer room used to be a poorly-insulated room in an old farmhouse. I had to run a space heater (the real kind, not an Athlon ) to keep warm. Now, in my new house with in-floor radiant heat, I'm plenty warm and so is my computer, unfortunately. My house is a pretty open layout, so I don't notice much warming around the computer area.

Ken

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Heatware
penquissciguy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-11-04, 09:55 PM   #20
bizhar

HEHE, welcome to the club !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool