• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB vs. Ethernet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

I heard that usb was unstable and that ethernet was a better way to connect my modem to the pc. is that true and would this create a erratic ping range.

I would recomend ethernet, it can be used not only for your pc but also any router you may use in the future.

Ethernet is always a better option because it leaves room for expansion. There aren't many USB routers (if any) out there that is compatible with a USB modem.

You must remember that with USB comes drivers and plug and pray (both are negatives when it comes to a M$ OS). With ethernet, it's just a direct connection, and your computer never needs software to run your modem since it can run itself just fine.

There are many modems on the market that come with both. I know mine has an option for USB or Ethernet. But I would always go with Ethernet since it is designed for networking and USB is not.

Last edited:
i have both but the one ethernet port I have is used to connect to another pc, so what I want to know is if it would help to change it to ethernet cause i'm tired of getting kicked out of sof 2 for having a high ping.

Avg said:
i have both but the one ethernet port I have is used to connect to another pc, so what I want to know is if it would help to change it to ethernet cause i'm tired of getting kicked out of sof 2 for having a high ping.

What i would do if i was you, just get another ethernet network card, and just bridge the connections. Or your best bet would be to use a router and connect your computers to it playing the role of client PC's with your router acting as the server for both of them. The router choice is alot simpler i think, although i havent Yet had the privledge to use one lol... key word Yet! But im sure everyone else here can help you out with anything you need.
And as far as getting kicked for having high pings, i dont know if using a router would change anything but it would probably be your best bet. I have played Battlefield 1942 through cable w/router and 4 PC's all playing at the same time and not really any problems

Although i havent ever set one up either way yet since im dialing to the net and my computers are networked through my onboard ethernet

well i got a adsl pci card and a use modem. ping is the same on both. but usb is always a resource hog and cpu dependent. (on a modem its obviously hardly a resource hog).

if you can go for the ethernet connection

Avg said:
I heard that usb was unstable and that ethernet was a better way to connect my modem to the pc. is that true and would this create a erratic ping range.
USB wasn't created for always-on connections, so it can be flaky. It was made to be a universal interface across all PCs with hot-plug support. If you do a forums search, you can see a bunch of people having problems with it.

An ethernet connection is so much more scalable, especially if you want to share the connection with the rest of your network--you can use any of the technology out there if you are using ethernet. If you use USB, you are limited because you have to use a computer, or a special router, which limits your options.

USB 2.0 = 480 Mb = slower than 10MB ethernet connection to your modem. If you go USB to your modem, your performance with suffer. Spend the $10-15 for a 10/100MB ethernet card.

STOP RIGHT THERE :) WAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK USB MODEM
Min ping 29
max ping 62
average 31

PCI ADSL MODEM
min 21
max 24 (no weird sudden spikes)
average 22

YEAH YEAH ME SO HAPPY ME SO HAPPY LALLALALALAAAA

(I AM REALLY HAPPY!!!)

I currently use the USB interface on my modem. I use a computer with ICS to share the connection, so that way, I use the USB for my WAN interface, and my onboard ethernet for my LAN interface. That way I didn't have to get another NIC. As for performance, I never drop a connection, and always get a consistant speed. I really don't think there is much difference between USB and ethernet for your modem. It is nice to have both interfaces on the modem incase you ever do want to upgrade to a router. In my case, it was just easier to use the USB to share to my LAN.

USB on this end. I have never had any problems. Always on. Connected to a Surfboard 4200. My SR7-8X has on board LAN and naturally, USB. So, I have the option. Both methods provide 1.5 Mbps down and 240 kbps up. Must be a user preference kind of thing.

germanjulian said:
STOP RIGHT THERE :) WAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK USB MODEM
Min ping 29
max ping 62
average 31

PCI ADSL MODEM
min 21
max 24 (no weird sudden spikes)
average 22

YEAH YEAH ME SO HAPPY ME SO HAPPY LALLALALALAAAA

(I AM REALLY HAPPY!!!)

I got 13ms to my exchange once with my router, that owned. That was before everyone else in the neighbourhood got ADSL tho :-/

when I used the USB connection I never had any problems I am just saying the the response times are better. 10ms a lot for games.

my brother lives near frankfurt germany and his connection is amazing.

when i play CS alone with him on his clans server he gets a ping of 8ms sometimes but he averages at around 15ms.

that is using ethernet. and hes lucky cause nobody has dsl around him.

[nerd voice] USB is a bursting device [/nerd voice]

I would go with ethernet. Although at one time I was able to connect two comps up to my modem without a router just fine (it has one usb and one RJ45 connection). Then I got a router.....

Back