• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ummm i messed up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Smak

ok i get my A7V8X-X today along with my new case and RAM, put everything together. Now i being a n00b that i am, didnt realise that there was no onboard video so i cant hook up my moniter, fine no prob, i ordered a Radeon today. Anyhow there wasnt any exhaust fans on the rear of my case, only on the side window so i wanted to add a fan at the back.

Heres where things get nasty. I used a old fan from my old pc power supply, 2 wires red and black. Using another old fane, a cpu fan with 3 wires, red, black and blue , spliced the red and black wire into the fan i wanna use as a exhaust fan., thus leaving me with just the blue wire, didnt think it would really matter so i just left it coz there was no blue wire to splice into.

Plug it on the mobo............SPARKY, SPARKY, SMOKE blah

Anyhow i think i killed my brand new mobo wihout even getting to use it. I lnow its a stupid mistake but i am really embarrased and ****ed.

So the mobo is probably fried right? It happened along the transistors or whatever on the right side right behind the psu

oh and 1 more thing, i cant figure out how to get the power led and the harddrive led to work, im following the instructions in the book on where to connect them but nothing is lighting up

Ummm....I don't really know what to say. We all made a mistake or two, but the important thing is to learn a lesson from each mistake. The only thing that you can really do is wait till you get your card and try to fire it up again....there is a "slight" chance that all is not lost. (this is likely a worst case senario though) As for you not getting your LEDs to work...could be that they are in backwards. Sometimes the polarity of the LED is hard to tell.

And if the mobo is dead, at least they aren't too expensive to replace. (Perhaps you could get away with RMAing it. :p)

Nephewkp said:
Ummm....I don't really know what to say. We all made a mistake or two, but the important thing is to learn a lesson from each mistake. The only thing that you can really do is wait till you get your card and try to fire it up again....there is a "slight" chance that all is not lost. (this is likely a worst case senario though) As for you not getting your LEDs to work...could be that they are in backwards. Sometimes the polarity of the LED is hard to tell.

And if the mobo is dead, at least they aren't too expensive to replace. (Perhaps you could get away with RMAing it. :p)

i duno if i could get away with returning it, i could try to return it but i think they tested it before sending it to me coz it was open and such so theyd get suspicious if i send it back saying it doesnt work.

I guess its a lessoned learned and i deffinatly wont ever do that again...doh!! lol

With the HHD and Power LEDs, if they don't light up on a working board, the connectors are probably backwards, they only work one way. As for what you did wrong, I'm not sure. What exactly sparked? The fan? As for the wires on the fan, black should be ground, blue should be an RPM sensor wire, and red is probably either +5v or +12v (depends on fan, for most computer fans, 12v).

Nephewkp said:

It's heavily looked down on around here, to suggest it's ok or acceptable to cheat dealers on product you fried during your own screw ups. I'd recommend you buy a new motherboard if that one doesn't work, and DO NOT try to RMA it.

Sounds like it could be a $100+/- mistake. Learn and move on.

If the Mobo died because you made a mistake, or you voided your warrenty, then you should not RMA it. On the other hand, I'm still not sure what happened. If the board died because of a problem with the board (eg a short caused in the factory that caused problems when power was provided to your board), and you did not overclock on the board, then an RMA might be in order.

Im trying to get an RMA. I got my videocard today and installed it, but the moniter wasnt showing anything, so i movved some of the ribbons into different places. I fiinally got the moniter to show, then i went to hook up my cd burner and floppy and nothing so now i dunno if the videocard is even working. Im so flustered.

I know the mobo is most likely bad but why would i get video for a minute or so, then nothing?

BTW how long ose an RMA usually take? I might just buy a new mobo if it takse too long

does the fact that im not getting any video mean that the mobo is pretty much toast? I need to know coz i am gonna order a new mobo tonight

update, my mobo stll works, i sent it to the store i bought it from and he tested it and it works. So now im left wondering if ts the cpu or the videocard....so i went and ordered a barton 2500....i will know soon if it will work. So im guessing its the videocard, if so i get a new onevand i have a spare cpu 1800 tbred.

well, i know someone who could use it, in fact, im with him 24 hours a day... *hint*

nvm, im getting a new rig soon, so j/k, it could go to a better cause than me.

Lucky dog! My computer room has fried mobos hanging on the walls, And I'm trying to figure out a good way to hang all my fried cpu's on them too. Just as a reminder to myself not to do anything stupid again. But it looks kinda cool anyway!

the only thing ive ever fried was a power supply but i think the person who sold it to me either fried it or it was used heavily ... it was 400 w and just sparked blue whe i started it up but then i put in a 300 w i had laying around and it ran smoother .. o_0

i had one of those uv fans and my pc shut off cause i had something plugged in wrong .. well , is it completely fried ? or do i still have it plugged in wrong ? its spinning :/

Heh. I've done something similar before. Thankfully, all it did was trip the PSU and shut down the system. Everything survived. :D

Yup well just recently i did the same sort of thing but killed my 80gb harddisk, 512mb of pc3200 memory and the motherboard.

When it rains it ****ing pours.

DJ, can you post your specs? I just looked up your board & see it's an Athlon board, but your profile says your using a P4. Posting your specs helps solve the problem faster.

Blondie said:
DJ, can you post your specs? I just looked up your board & see it's an Athlon board, but your profile says your using a P4. Posting your specs helps solve the problem faster.

OH, the p4 was my old system that i no longer have. My setup is a 1800 XP t-bred, 80 gb harddrive and 128 mb RAM. Im waiting on getting my mobo back along with my 2500XP that i ordered, so i havent been able to check my videocard out yet, i suspect that is the problem

Back