• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fedora resolution problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boffin2163

Ive just installed fedora core 1 and grub is set up and working perfectly but when i boot fedora when its finished going through all of the text boot part it gets to starting the graphical interface and the resolution is set too high for my monitor which only supports 800x600 and below, so all i get is a blank screen. Is there any way i can change the resolution even though i cant get into fedora?

Get another better monitor which supports higher resolution, boot into Federo then change your display setting to 800X600 there.

If you can get to the CLI, you only have to edit /etc/X11/XF86config-4 and delete the resolutions you don't want. You'll have to be logged in as root. Make sure to delete only the resolutions, not the whole line.

Change
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480
to
Modes "800x600" "640x480
for whichever color depth you use. You can change it for all depths, but only changing one line is simpler.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies I have fixed my problem and now have a fully working fedora core 1 :D i even managed to install the nvidia drivers 1st which im proud of lol

Boo-yah!

Your next task is to configure a usb printer connected to a windows box, which is connected to your computer by a firewire network. Via CUPS. Remotely. Through telnet. Over a VPN. Over a 28.8 connection. During a lightning storm.
Good luck!

Back