• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What fans do Antec True power PSU's use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phamine

I'm hearing that those PSU's are the quietest. Anyone have specs on the fans?

I'm using a Channel Well ISO-500d 450w PSU and it's the loudest part of my system. I have a total of 6 other fans that are rated 28dbs and under.

Specs on PSU fans:

Back fan
80mm Dynatron Top Motor DF1208SH - 41.0 CFM @ 34DBA

Bottom fan - Variable temp controlled
90mm Dynatron Top Motor DF1209SM

Temperature 15 20 25 30 35 40 45
RPM 1800 2000 2300 2600 2900 3000 3100
CFM 29 33 39 44 49 51 53
Noise dB(A) 23 26 30 36 37 38 39

I'm thinking about changing the fan's that antec uses if it's quieter but pushes just as much air.

I'm not too familiar with the ISO line... is that 80mm fan not on the thermal controller too? Maybe try connecting it in parallel with the 90mm if not.

The Antec fans from the Truepowers should work ok, but not sure how they'll do in terms of noise. I don't think it would hurt to go a little lower on the cfm of either fan just for experimenting.

dicecca112 said:
Antec Tru Power power supply's use antec fans. And they are so quite it is ridiculous

Have you tried running the PSU fans at 12V? Inside the PSU they're kept at 7V to reduce the noise.

scorpionkng3333-Antec_fans.jpg

scorpionkng3333-Antec_fans_2.jpg

i replaced the stock fans which are run from 5-10 volts (they are only run at 10 volts when it gets really hot and for 10 seconds, then down to 5-6 volts again). this makes them run quite, but now cool. i want my system to run cool and effcient, the cooler the psu runs, the more watts it can put out (say if its running really hot, for example, it cant only put out 100watts less than it is advertises at, but if it runs cooler, it can get closer to the max). anyway, i took mine apart, using this guide, which tells you how to speed up the stock fans. well i didnt like the stock fans, i like panaflo fans, so i took it aparta, replaced the fans and ran their power cords to my fan controller, i run the panaflo fans at 8 volts, its still pretty quite but the air coming out the psu is nowhere near as hot as the air coming out with the stock fans, it feels slightly warmer than room temperature.

scorpionkng3333-80mmPSU_2.jpg

scorpionkng3333-92mmPSU_1.jpg

So the Antec fans uses dynatron top motor fans then. Looking at the part number of the 90mm fan matches the part number that is used in the channel well PSU .

^^^^Your using Panaflo L1A fans? I might as well go this route if it is indeed quieter and just as efficient.

I do not think the antec fans are reason the truepowers seem fairly quiet. Its the fact they only spin on average at 1500rpms. When they crank up to 1800+ they start getting louder. I have Panaflo's everywhere so even at 1500rpms the PSU is the loudest part of my system.

the reason why the antec psus are so quite IS because of the low rpms, the power supply gives them voltages ranging from 5-10 depending on system load and temperature.

i replaced them with a 92mm panaflo M series. the 80mm is a H series. my case fans are all 80mm H series on 8 volts. i suppose i could have put in M and gives 12, but i wanted to have the most flow if i ever needed it and thats why i got a controller. the reason why the psu makes more noise if the fans are turned up is not just because its putting out more motor noise, its because the fan blades are really close to the heat sinks within the psu and so it creates turbulance and noise when they spin faster. also, the two fans overlap their width on eachother so the blades are close to that too.

Even when jumpering the PSU on my workbench in a very quiet room i can't hear them unless my head is real close to them. I don't know what RPM's they run but they are quite suckers at the voltage given

Rich

gustav, according to the guide to modify the speed of the stock fans, is it that both fans will run at top speed? Or can you just make one fan run at top speed (for example the 80mm fan alone)?

I don't really understand that bit in the guide. :(

TWY said:
gustav, according to the guide to modify the speed of the stock fans, is it that both fans will run at top speed? Or can you just make one fan run at top speed (for example the 80mm fan alone)?

Both fans are connected to a Y adaptor that powers both fans at the same time. If you want to make the 80mm fan run at full speed you simply need to unplug it from the Y adaptor and connect it to a 4 pin molex. This will probably require you to find an adaptor or do some wire cutting.

TWY said:

yeah, what you can do is get some 3 pin extentions and wire them out to the motherboard and connect each fan to the motherboard or use a 3 pin y splitter and hook it to the mobo or fan controller, or get some 3 pin to 4 pin converters and hook it up to a spare molex on the psu.

gustav said:
well i didnt like the stock fans, i like panaflo fans, so i took it aparta...

I replaced the stock fans in my TC550 with a 80mm Panflo M1A and a 92mm Stealth. It's definately quieter now, but still not as quiet as I'd like it to be.

gustav said:

yeah, what you can do is get some 3 pin extentions and wire them out to the motherboard and connect each fan to the motherboard or use a 3 pin y splitter and hook it to the mobo or fan controller, or get some 3 pin to 4 pin converters and hook it up to a spare molex on the psu.

I see. Thanks.

Is the RPM sensor of the 80mm fan separately connected to the PCB (I'm assuming the 2-wire fan monitoring wire that comes out of the Antec PSU is for the 80mm)?

The 80mm and 92mm in my 400w Antec Smartpower (soon to be replaced by a Trueblue 480W) are exceptionally quiet. They are running at reduced RPM, thats what makes them so quiet,

But why would anyone want to swap out those stock fans?
I mean, sure they push hardly any CFM, but cooling the PS doesn't increase performance does it? Is it just to prolong the life of the PS's components?
Because for me, noise would be more important than prolonging the life of the PS by a few months...

;)

actually the cooler it runs the more power it can put out. for instance, some companys rate psus at a certain wattage, but that is only when it runs 25C, how often is it gona run that cool? most of the time they are running very hot, about as hot as a cpu, plus they get warmed air in the first place. the noise doesnt bother me, i have a panaflo high speed fan for the 80mm and a panaflo medium speed for the 92mm, at 8 volts its not that bad (first my raptor makes lots of noise, then i have 3 80mm intakes, 120mm blowhole, cpu fan, nb fan and vid card fan) so my system is loud already, and the air coming out isnt much warmer that room temp, i feel all around my psu and its cool and i can actually feel the air coming out the back. the stock fans dont push much air even with 12 volts, they just arent designed well, and at full speed they are loud, panaflo fans are better designed and have less motor noise/friction since they use liquid bearings. with the stock fans it was always warm, now its cool. i feel its worth it because i think my lines are ever a little bit more stable now.

Back