• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake 10 no sound please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roid

Registered
Hi,
I just installed mandrake 10 on an older box of mine with a sb awe64 isa card and cannot get the sound functioning.I ran sndconfig as recommended by the installer after install and set the correct setting and heard the sound the test played but when it goes to save the options to the /ect/modules.conf file it gives me an error:
Unable to handle kernel null pointer at virtual address 00000088

I opened the modules.conf file and it appears to have the proper setting in there but I still have no sound.I have been searching forums and the net for hours and cannot find anyone with a similar problem please help me.

Grab a 2.6 series kernel and compile in support for alsa and emu10k1 drivers.

^_^

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I have always had sound card problems with RH/MDK in recognizing any sound card. I use Suse or Debian, instead. I load RH/MDK (any flavor) on pc A , no sound. I load Suse or Debian on same pc, got sound.

Thanks for all the replys but looks like its back to windows again after 2 days of searching and cannot solve the problem.

Malakai> Grab a 2.6 series kernel and compile in support for alsa and emu10k1 drivers.

Mandrake 10 is supposed to have both and I dont know how to manually compile kernels and such I'm just a noob back for a second try at linux,last time I couldnt get the video drivers installed.

jajmon> I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I have always had sound card problems with RH/MDK in recognizing any sound card. I use Suse or Debian, instead. I load RH/MDK (any flavor) on pc A , no sound. I load Suse or Debian on same pc, got sound.

I had sound back when I tried mandrake 8.1.Looks like mandrake hardware support is getting worse.Maybe I'll try one of those distros next time I get the itch to mess with linux.

ElGriton> I had the same problem and for years it stopped me from using linux. I solved it by moving the sound card to a different pci slot.

Its and old isa card and I tried moving it to the other slots on the board and I still get no sound.

Too Smart> Can you hear sound when you are logged in as root?

I wish it was that easy.After having to type in the root password 50 times whne messing with the config,I just always logged in as root on boot but alas no sound.

On furthur reasearch I came accross this site about setting up isa soundcards in linux manually:
http://www.tux.org/~tbr/sound-debian/
I have the same card that author does and the same settings for dma irq ect...I followed the guide exactly and when I try to Activate the new PNP configuration:
isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
Mandrake tells me I have an irq conflict.I set it up on irq 5.The bios says its the only thing using irq5.I am dualbooting win2k with standard pc hal and it is using irq5 in windows and nothing else is.I searched through madrakes site and all the config tools in hardware setup and I have no idea how to find what else linux has on irq5.
At this point I had to walk away for some time I am so frustrated.I thought mandrake was supposed to be the easiest linux to use.Kinda dissapointed again.

Maybe its time to ditch that old school ISA sound card for something a bit newer. Mandrake was able to detect my SBLive which I was really suprised by. I think the support for newer componets is getting better with the Drake, maybe doing so they did not keep support for some of the older things.

Yes a pci soundcard may solve the problem but I cant afford any new hardware right now(unemployed).Not being one to give up easily and wanting to put linux on this box and learn linux I downloaded gentoo.
Gentoo keeps giving me errors that it cannot read or write to my hard drive.Only thing I can think of is I have a 40 gig maxtor with the cylinder limit switch set to 36gig so my bios will recognize it(bios is limited to this max size and no more bios updated are available for this motherboard).I even partitioned it and formatted it from diskdrake which sees it ok but gentoo still wont read or write to it so I cant install that.
I downloaded debian but after reading the install docs looks like they use the same disk tools as gentoo so I dont think I will be able to install that either.
This box would have been perfect for linux.I just want to use it for email and web browsing and IM.
I wanted to use linux but linux does not like my hardware so I guess its back to windows.Funny I had win98,winme,win2k,and winxp on this box and never had any hardware problems with them.I guess thats why micro$oft makes the big bucks.

FINALLY SUCCESS :)
Discouraged ,but still not wanting to give up,I installed an ata 100 card that I had lying around and proceeded with a gentoo install.Three reinstalls and several kernel compiles later here I am posting from my gentoo install with kde and best of all I have sound now:p

Its been a real trip but I loved the gentoo install.Great docs at their sitre and their forums are awsome for ironing out the bugs.If you have the time installing Gentoo will teach you alot about linux,and the feeling of accomplishment when you finally get to the desktop environment is real gratifying

Maybe now someday I can kick my Micro$oft addiction.

Back