• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

optimizing comiler in slackware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good morning, After working with gentoo for over a week now I don't see any difference in speed versus slackware which for me was kinda dissapointing :( Well anyway I will be intalling slack again but this time I want to build X and kde from source like gentoo did to see if it helps at all. My question is how do I make it so that anything I build will be for my EXACT architecture like the make.conf file for gentoo or is there anyway to do it? I would like to make it a one time deal instead of having to modify the source for each application I download. Thank you for any help you can give. :)

Compiling programs with the options you want is sometimes difficult in non-gentoo distro's.

For example, to build any mozilla program with compiler optimizations, you need to learn the custom syntax of mozilla's config file, the .mozconfig.

Example optimize line for .mozconfig
Code:
ac-add-options --enable-optimize="insert-gcc-optimizations-here"

I would imagine many programs have config files like this, which you would need to learn the syntax of to optimize it.

I could be wrong though, mozilla firefox and thunderbird are the only progs i build from source on my own.

Most packages (but not all) use autoconf and automake to configure for a certain architecture and setting compile time flags. configure options are usually fairly standardized. You can see the ones it supports by typing "./configure --help"

Back