• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does Stepping # signify?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

What is the stepping number on a P3 signify? Whould a higher number
be better? Say two CPUs 800Es one with stepping 1 and the other with 3? What would be the difference?

Thanks for the help.

The revision of the cpu.
I am not sure what a 1 or 3 mean.
If you use cpu-z it will give you the stepping in cA1,cB0, cC0, cDO.
cA1 being the oldest cD0 the newest.
The newer the better.
You can download cpu-z here:

Stepping 1=cA2
Stepping 2=cB0
Stepping 3=cC0
Stepping 4=cD0

The stepping # signifies the stepping mask. What revision the CPU has.

Higher=better.
:)

To further elaborate, the steppings are revisions of the chip. Each revision includes some fixes for the errata that the previous version(s) had as well as any other improvements i.e. addition of cache size... This is why the latest revisions tend to be the best. If you read the specification update for your specific processor it should give you a list of which errata have been fixed in each stepping.

(The table starts on page 34.)

I'm very very interested,
my C2 600 seems to be a cB0 Stepping Mask, but the stepping is 3 !!!(SisoftSandra reports), and then, for what FrankMasterFlash say's it must be cD0.

What's the revison of my chip? :)

The Doors (Aug 03, 2001 04:42 p.m.):
my C2 600 seems to be a cB0 Stepping Mask, but the stepping is 3 !!!(SisoftSandra reports), and then, for what FrankMasterFlash say's it must be cD0.

that's funny, my sandra the same thing with my celly 533

The Doors (Aug 03, 2001 04:42 p.m.):

Download cpu-z.
Link is in post above.

Sorry Placid, I was replying during your send,
and I made another mistake sayng cD0, must be cC0!

CpuZ reports a 'Core Stepping' cB0 and a 'Stepping' 3, like Sandra's, what mean?

I belive in you Placid,
infact I'm sure that my C2 is a cB0 and not a cC0 like Frank's table say's.
I must also say that, if it's a cC0, I'm very happy coz is more OCable, but my chip don't go over 900Mhz :-(

My mistake. Sorry about the confusion my table is for P3's(I think). I assume thats how the steppings go. I think Celeron steppings work differently and not sure how they go. Trust CPU-Z over my table.

Back