• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

west1

Basically im pretty new to OC'ing and have a couple quick questions. Im looking for a new cpu (i posted this on the AMD forum too because im not really loyal to one brand) and im wondering which processor by Intel, would give the best OC results on air. Im looking at rather inexpensive processors, either a celeron 2.4 or a P4. The problem i see is taht P4's are so much more expensive, are they worth it even though its about the same speed? Is the celeron going to be a decent OC'er? approximately what speeds can i expect from the 2.4? and lastly what would a good, inexpensive mobo be for this set-up? Thanks in advance for any replies

I would advise you to skip the Celeron. I bought a refurb 2.0G Celeron for a folding machine. When I got it it was a C1 stepping so I stuck it in my rig to see what it would do. I got 2.9G very easily and prime stable. The PCMark 2002 scores were decent but the 3DMark 2001SE scores were terrible. My 2.0G Pentium 4 running at 3.1 scores 4000 points more in the identical setup. If you want the best overclocking motherboard for the least money, I reccommend the Abit IS7E for around $85-90.

Go for a 2.4C P4, a good board, and good PC3200 ram. That will yield awesome results. The 2.4C is one of the best overclockers and fairly cheap. The Celeron processors SUCK. Sure they OC fairly well, but they still underperform. A 2.8Ghz Celeron performs about as well as a 2.0Ghz P4, so stay away form the Celerons.

The much smaller caches compared to the P4 kill the Celeron for games and 3D benchmarks unfortunately. I mean, there HAD to be a reason for them being so dirt cheap. A 2.0Ghz Celeron O/C'd to 3.0Ghz can't even keep up with a 1.8Ghz P4 in most 3D benchmarks. Truly awful performance.

Back