• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Procedure for RMAing P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkp0lice

1 of my friends got a busted up P4 2.4C, that won't run stable unless HT is disabled, and even then, it's sometimes flaky. I tried putting in my CPU and it works perfectly, so it's his CPU's fault.

Problem is that it was bought online off forums, and the seller is being a *****, won't give a refund. He claims it's a retail CPU, but he lost the reciept, is it possible to RMA the cpu directly with Intel without warrenty book or proof of purchase?

What are some of your experiences when RMAing directly with Intel?

Thanks

I don't get the proof of purchase part, do they require me to fax them a reciept or something?

darthdana said:
I RMAed a Xeon 2 years ago, pretty standard stuff. I mean they got to know some basic info, took about 3 weeks if I recall

So what about the "Proof of purchase" part? Do they require a copy of the reciept or something? :(

Plz elaborate.

I just bought a boxed 3.0c few days ago, and all documentation that came with it does not specify "type of" proof of purchase, nothing on or in the box to state proof of purchase.

Did you get the box along with the chip?? try asking for the box if not, or possibly if your in good with a local store see if they would jump through the hoops for you or provide a reciept maybe.

Always keep in mind when someone is selling something, consider why they are selling, could it be junk to begin with ect..
Hope your friend can recover either the loot or the proc.

Daaq said:
I just bought a boxed 3.0c few days ago, and all documentation that came with it does not specify "type of" proof of purchase, nothing on or in the box to state proof of purchase.

Did you get the box along with the chip?? try asking for the box if not, or possibly if your in good with a local store see if they would jump through the hoops for you or provide a reciept maybe.

Always keep in mind when someone is selling something, consider why they are selling, could it be junk to begin with ect..
Hope your friend can recover either the loot or the proc.

Nope, all I got was the CPU. But if you bought it new, you must have the reciept right? So you're fine.

Ya, thanks, it's messed up.

Yea I have the reciept, I save em now because place I buy from does tradeins with a receipt, and I upgrade way too often as it is, but point is is there any local store that may hook you up with a receipt?? worth a try especially if intel wants one.

maybe even buy another one boxed to get a receipt to rma then sell new one, just an idea

Daaq said:
Yea I have the reciept, I save em now because place I buy from does tradeins with a receipt, and I upgrade way too often as it is, but point is is there any local store that may hook you up with a receipt?? worth a try especially if intel wants one.

maybe even buy another one boxed to get a receipt to rma then sell new one, just an idea

Hmm, good idea I guess, but the problem is that I'm not even 100% sure if the CPU i got is retail, since SL6WF is both retail and OEM stepping... :(

darthdana said:
I RMAed a Xeon 2 years ago, pretty standard stuff. I mean they got to know some basic info, took about 3 weeks if I recall

Did they ask for the pack date of the chip? Cuz I don't have the retail box... :(

I RMA'd an older 2.0A P4. I too did not know if it was OEM or retail. When I talked to the Intel guy on the phone, I was upfront and said I didn't have the box or paperwork anymore, but I did have a retail HSF. I wasn't using it, but I did not tell a lie.

He asked me if I had replaced the chip yet. I told him I was tempoarily using a Celly 2.0, which I was, and since I had the retail box for the Celly, he said that was good enough, took some numbers off of it, and processed my RMA.

I sent back the 2.0A and received a new-in-the-box 2.0A three days later.

If they process your RMA, you WILL be expected to send back the retail HSF also. It was my understanding that this condition was a deal breaker.

I RMA'ed my 2.4C a few months ago.

When I called all they wanted to know was some part numbers off the chip itself and the motherboard I was using. They wanted the chip and the retail HSF. No proof of purchase was needed. Why should they? You have the chip.

On top of it all, when I packaged up the chip to send back I noticed one of the pins was missing. Not sure how it happened but I sent it in anyways. A week later came my new 2.4C.

Costa 2.4C that overclocked to 3.30. Not bad but I still wonder what my original chip would overclock to.

Awesome, thanks guys, I'm gonna grab a retail HSF off a friend tomorrow 'n call Intel :D

I RMA'ed several P4 cpus last year. you only need a stock hsf and the cpu itself. Nothing else. It only took 7 business days to send and receive the cpu back. It's really fast considering I am in Canada.

Back