• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xhades

Registered
I've posted this on other overclocking forums but this place seems to be the most knowledgable, I got my T-Bird 1 gig to 1.4, My idle tems are 44c under load 49c, after i flashed my kt7 with the latest bios it seems my temps went up abit especially idle, the only problem i have is i cant get above 112 fsb, after that i can boot into windows but i get mad memory errors, Do i need to manipulate the bios for my ram? or what, I have 2 generic PC133 sticks

Welcome to the forums! The chipset on the KT7 has a 112 mhz fsb limit. I'm pretty sure the only way to get a 133 mhz fsb is to get a new board.

Also, when you flash your BIOS everything goes back to default settings. So if you changed any of your memory settings in the BIOS from the default settings you will have to change them again.

That explains why my idle temp went from 29c to 40c range, but my load never goes above 47(I droped the voltage a bit from last night), I have so many fans on my damn case I can BARELY sleep at night. I just wish I could bump the FSB past 112, I heard the kt133 chipset is crappy when it comes to uping your fsb. Oh well. I should just be happy where im at now.

xhades said:
That explains why my idle temp went from 29c to 40c range, but my load never goes above 47(I droped the voltage a bit from last night), I have so many fans on my damn case I can BARELY sleep at night. I just wish I could bump the FSB past 112, I heard the kt133 chipset is crappy when it comes to uping your fsb. Oh well. I should just be happy where im at now.

thats a darn nice oc nothing to sneze at

i have a kt7 and a kt7a and can notice very little diference between the two bench marks are about the only way i can tell the two apart :D

You heard right, the KT133 chipset is pretty useless for fsb ocing. Mine won't go above 105MHz, though I suspect that's to do with some other component - haven't bothered testing them all. 112 is damn respectable for a KT133 board, and it's probably the chipset that's holding you back. It could be the RAM though, maybe the generic stuff can't do past 37MHz. Either way, congrats on your first oc, and welcome to the forums :)

One more question what does this axia ahhshsh type chip stuff, are t-birds not made equal?

xhades said:
One more question what does this axia ahhshsh type chip stuff, are t-birds not made equal?
It's all to do with the code written on the chip - in particular, with the first few letters of the second line. All chips are not created equal, since despite being made by the same process with the same silicon and to the same design, some can run at 1.4gigs and others only a gig. Clearly when AMD test their chips, although they may mark a whole load as '1000MHz parts', within the group some there are variations in coding. This must be to do with performance when tested, as chips with 'AXIA' as the code seem to perform much better than other 1gig, or 1.2gig, or whatever, chips. For instance an AXIA will generally oc further than an AVHA or what have you rated at the same speed. Generally the higher in the alphabet the letters, the better the chip.

Some of the top-end chips (1.33 and 1.4gigs) have the code AYHJA on them, and often perform better than the AXIAs. Just something to look out for when buying a chip really, if you can see the actual chips before you buy.

Here's an article talking a bit about tbird coding. If I can find a close-up of the chip showing the imprtant bit of the code I'll post it.

And here's an article at Wildandyc talking about some other bits of the code.

Last edited:
Rob Cork said:
You heard right, the KT133 chipset is pretty useless for fsb ocing. Mine won't go above 105MHz, though I suspect that's to do with some other component - haven't bothered testing them all. 112 is damn respectable for a KT133 board, and it's probably the chipset that's holding you back. It could be the RAM though, maybe the generic stuff can't do past 37MHz. Either way, congrats on your first oc, and welcome to the forums :)

The KT7 was the best KT133 FSB'er

Back