• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP vs P4 system. Which should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

I was asking about upgrading the other day but figure what the hell it's my birthday on Monday I might as well get a new computer since I never spend any money on myself or do much of anything fun.

P4 Setup:
2.8C = 180.00
DFI LanpartyB = 173.00
Adata PC4200 = 238.00
ATI Radeon 9800P = 210.00
Antec TRUE430 = 66.00
WD 160GB HD = 0
Total = 867

SMP Setup:
(2x)2.4 Xeon = 572.00
Asus PC-DL Deluxe = 205.00
Adata PC4200 = 238.00
Albatron TI4800 = 0
Antec True550 EPS12V = 103
WD 160GB HD = 0
Total = 1018

Again my main uses for my computer is not games. I mostly use it for school and message boards. The programs I often use are Photoshop, Matlab, F@H, AIM, Maya, Office XP Apps. I plan on getting some type of Cad software soon as well. I'm and Engineering student and play around with different software from here and there and would plan on using various different Engineering tools too. For my type of use what would benefit me the most?

Also if you see something that could be changed for the better at a similar price go ahead and add that too. Thanks in advance.

Got a couple of P4c systems myself and am starting to look towards the Xeon solution also. If you get the 533fsb Xeon's they should have HT and that is the solution IMO. You might want to check the SMP section on that mobo though, there's a mobo that will give you some OC'ing even with Xeon's but I can't remember which one right now.

I believe he's spot on for OCing (Asus PC-DL) and the correct PSU with the SMP. Either way, look like good systems :)

duals period.

also i'm just wondering, what kind of performance difference is there between the p4 and xeon? What runs better on which cpu?

Last edited:
Back