• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping Mr Prescott Cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dcasole: what are your temps and Voltages? I'm currently kinda stuck at 243FSB with 1.535Vcore, temps are around 58C full load and this is with 120mm + 80mm intake fans, and two 80mm plus the PSU's outtake fans, Zalman 7000Cu etc.

Intel stresses on keeping the CPU fan inlet air temperature at or below 38 degrees C.

The duct brings the outside air directly towards the processor. An intake fan on the side would also bring in air, but that would be for the whole casing and would get mixed with the hot air inside - Ultimatley the processor fan inlet temp might not be 38 degrees or lower. And there is also the question of turbulence caused by too many intake fans.

This duct should be positioned directly over the CPU fan, just putting it on the side will not give the best results. Intel also advises positioning the duct within 12-20 mm of the processor fan.

A 92mm out-take fan is recommended at the rear (in addition to the PSU fan).

Lancelot- Before the mod , 55C idle and 69C under a load,after making the mod I am running at around 41C at idle and 49 under full load. I had to use the latest MSI BIOS to get the prescott support but update locked my VCORE at 1.36. MSI states that they did this for our protection as they did not want anyone burning up their chip. The prescott throttles Vcore up our down depending upon the load so in theoryyou could fry it. I to was stuck at 240 FSB but it was not my Vcore, it was my memory holding me back.

So far I have been able to get up to 3.59 stable. when I try to go higher it will hang when booting windows

Z_oc- You are right just cutting a hole in the side of the case will do nothing. I cut a hole in the side of my case, mounted an 80MM fan, then rounded off the back of the fan{cut the mounting tabs off} so it would accept a 3 inch inside diameter rubber pipe coupler that I bought at the local hardware store. This coupler directs the outside air directly to the cpu fan. What a difference it made

If anyone would like to see pictures of my mod just email me.

Dave

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..Oh my god Intell stole my MOD ...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ..I would be ashamed to make a movie like that, after THE BASHING they gave AMD for temps.,..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ..Ok I am OFF THE FLOOR. And I do not mean to bash Intell I just can not for the life of me beleive the BRASS one's hanging from Intell...........Is Tom's hardware going to try to cook breakfast with a prescott like he implied he could with AMD lol..

Linky..
http://www.overclockers.com/tips867/

Lance, here are some pictures of the mod . I also forgot to state that I upped my memory voltage to 2.70 to get it stable

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01133.JPG

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01132.JPG

Diehrd- I put my fan inside the tube with the fan blowing towards the processor forcing cool air to the processor fan. Do you think it would be better if I set it up like yours? It looks like you have do not have any fans in your tubes and two exhaust fans mounted on your side cover.

Thanks
Dave

Dcasole said:
Lance, here are some pictures of the mod . I also forgot to state that I upped my memory voltage to 2.70 to get it stable

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01133.JPG

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01132.JPG

Diehrd- I put my fan inside the tube with the fan blowing towards the processor forcing cool air to the processor fan. Do you think it would be better if I set it up like yours? It looks like you have do not have any fans in your tubes and two exhaust fans mounted on your side cover.

Thanks
Dave

Dave good question, I did a ton of different ducts to find the best way, and I feel I figured it out by testing. A Duct should only be a means of direction for the heatsink fan's airsupply.There should be absolutly zero effort placed on the heatsink fan as it draws it's air supply.

Additionally a heat sink needs a fans preassure to get air between it's fins.That is why a fan is mounted directly to the heatsink in the first place. HOWEVER if the fan is set back 1 inch from the heatsink you REMOVE THE FANS NATURAL DEAD SPOT IT HAS IN IT"S CENTER..Thats a good thing .But do not move the fan any big distance from the heat sink or you lose preassure through the heatsink fins.

A duct that is mounted to the fan's sides like cardboard will work,but not nearly as well as what I am suggesting because extending the fans inlet reduces it's out put and creates more noise. Is it better then no duct ? Yep it is.

Will mounting a fan at the inlet pushing air to the sink fan work.Yes but again not as well as my design because of turbulance and preassure placed on the heatsink fans blades.

Those ducts in my very old post, are plumbing pipe reducers I placed over 60mm fans. If you look at the duct and then a 60mm fan there is quite a size diffference,even the tube end attached to the case side is larger then a 60mm fan,and it is that way for the reason I stated above.

Straight No turns right , left or up,large circumfrence,smoth walls,all make for an excellent duct because the heatsink fan is allowed to work as if there is no duct at all..................

Kinda like the duct that wasn't..Quack quack..lol.. But Seriously my design netted massive temp changes and if you look at what we try to do in water cooling by keeping flow as unrestricted as possible and apply it to a DUCT like I did, you will have great performance for about 10 dollars. Pipe reduce,L- bracket's,fan grill,fasteners..............................

To the guys who read this I would be happy to help in any way.And my fall down of my seat laughing was not in any way a slam or bash to Intell. As far as I am concerned heat is and will be a huge issue for any processor no matter the name on it...

And looking into the AMD forums may provide you guys with some great solutions to cool these next generation chips....

Thanks for the Diehrd, I will try taking the fan out of the duct this weekend.

God knows I need all the help I can trying to keep this thing reasonably cool. I wish I bought a plain old 3.2 as this thing is just not worth all the effort. it is like buying the first model year of a car, I should have waited until they worked all the bugs out LOL LOL.

Today for some reason it "wigged out" on me as the temps shot up for no reason. Checked all the fans and they were running fine so I rebooted slowed it down to 3.5 and the temps came down. I am going to leave it there and see what happens.

Dave

That is the SAME EXCAT thing i did to my AMD system and it really dropped the temps by a huge amount!! But i just mounted the duct almost right onto the cpu fan and it drew the air from that so there was no turbulence to b had froma fan pushing air onto the other. I also pulled the fan about 1 inch from the hs and made a shroud so that it could keep its pressure. This worked great all for about 45 min worth of work this should be the first thing u do to any comp b4 getting a new form of cooling.

Back