• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anadtech Overclocking Article = CRAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

Has anyone read this article on Anandtech yet?

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=1992

OK, for the RAM, Mobo, and Processors, they actually make some very impressive choices, however, after that - they murder an overclocking system. It's pathetic really.

Not only did they choose possibly one of the worst cases for overclocking, the Kingwin K11 (as far as their claiming it to be the "perfect overclocking case"... I know their are worse cases out there...), but they are recommending a Thermalrigth SLK-947A - which happens to cool their Mobile Barton 2500+ at 2.52ghz w/1.8v to a chilly 52C!!!! 52C!!!! WTF! They then proceed to state that these temperatures are FINE!! I don't know where they came up with that incredible conclusion, but if my load temp was even 45C I would be extremely ****ed off.

This is why we don't listen to the mainstream sites for overclocking advice. My suggestion to good ol' Anand - leave the overclocking to the real enthusiasts and stick to your video card reviews and n00b buyers guides (that don't deal with overclocking).

52º is acceptable depending on the noise level you wish to live with. i dont think they mentioned the fan they were using with that setup, but if there were using say, a panaflo, i would expect temps like that.
the nf7 is HIDIOUSLY wrong on temp readouts, and if you fiddle at all with the diode, it will screw it over even more. my motherboard reads my cpu as being 39º under load at 2000 mhz, 3500 rpm tornado, where a thermal prode measures the same conditions as 35º.

52 may be high for you or me, but there are some people here on THESE forums who have those temps.
Ill agree with the case... crappy case... should be burnt and commited to..... something not this. im curious as to why they didnt suggest the mushkin lv 2 black. that is possibly the most highly raved about memory around these parts.

i love how the article is written. i keep expecting to hear a *DA DA DA!!!!* after the term overclockers. makes us seem so misschievious and all.

Quoting from the article:

Now, AMD overclockers finally have something to look forward to in the mobile version of AMD's 2500+, which was released sometime around the turn of February.

Hmmm...I tested my first XP-M right around New Year's, and there were folks who were running these chips way before me.

Valk said:
the nf7 is HIDIOUSLY wrong on temp readouts, and if you fiddle at all with the diode, it will screw it over even more. my motherboard reads my cpu as being 39º under load at 2000 mhz, 3500 rpm tornado, where a thermal prode measures the same conditions as 35º.

I wouldn't call a 4C difference "HIDIOUSLY (sic) wrong," especially when relying on data supplied by a device that could easily have its own operational deficiencies.

Strages 52c is PERFECTLY fine - as they said. why on earth you wouldnt be happy with 52c @ 2.52ghz i don't know.......i know I would be. Actually im running 2.25ghz w/ a full load of around 55c currently. Nothing wrong with that.

blkgti said:

I wouldn't call a 4C difference "HIDIOUSLY (sic) wrong," especially when relying on data supplied by a device that could easily have its own operational deficiencies.

No me neither, but there are some nf7's that are WELL over 10c out. The fact that abit screwes with the temps so much in every bios release has gotta tell you something.....

The only thing i can see wrong with that article, is that its too short on detail. There are other minor things, like the release of the m-bartons as mentioned above. But, to slam it is pretty silly to be honest.

Last edited:
The 74GB Raptor is the faster version of WD's 36.7GB Raptor, outfitted with the same 8MB buffer and 10,000RPM spindle that we looked at about a year ago here.

wait wait wait...... shouldn't this read LARGER version? in the same sentence they even say:
outfitted with the same 8MB buffer and 10,000RPM spindle

Valk said:
52º is acceptable depending on the noise level you wish to live with. i dont think they mentioned the fan they were using with that setup, but if there were using say, a panaflo, i would expect temps like that.

they didn't exactly say which fan they were using, but they did put this in the paragraph below, leading me to believe this was the fan they were using:

We suggest the Vantec Tornado, which costs just $13 shipped. At these high clock speeds, you're not going to experience a low noise environment with your fan - it'll need to run over 3000RPM.

EDIT:
just saw this on the conclusion page:

COOLING: SLK-947U HSF + Vantec Fan

uhhhhh. 52º on a 947 and tornado..... is bad... i get better temps than that with an sk7 and tornado, at 4000 rpm, at 2500. 45º, but i have to crank my case fans to work at full bore. they must have applied the tim reallly really poorly. or their case didnt have enough airflow.
wow....

james.miller said:
The fact that abit screwes with the temps so much in every bios release has gotta tell you something.....

Actually, the several BIOS revisions that I've tested read the temps very similarly.

well you are very lucky then, because having gone through most of the bioses from d10 to d22, i have personally seen a difference in reported temps of over 15c.

^^ Yea I can confirm that too. Ive seen 60* load on my sig b4. Nothing ever gets close to 50* on mine with D22 BIOS now.

You guys have to bear one huge thing in mind. All mobo thermistors are very different from one another, furthermore, almost all of them are wrong to the point that I don't even bother looking at them. You can't compare temps from mobo A to mobo B; it just doesn't work that way.

I think they actually did a great job in overclocking. A lot better than any other article I've ever seen. Very good component selection, and 2.5GHz is a very solid speed.

One thing I can say about temps, is that just about everyone who's replied in this thread would actually have load temps above 50, a few of you probably above 60, regardless of what inaccurate nonsense your motherboard thermistors may report.

Very rougly, at 2.5GHz and 1.85v, your processor would be dissipating about 140W of heat, coupled with an ambient temperature of 25°C(in the case), and a thermal resistance of .22C/W for your SP97 with a Tornado, you'd have about a 56°C load temperature. If 45°C scares you, you'd be shocked to know how hot your processor runs in reality.

yeah. People place too much trust in thermal probes.i always use the math to work out my real temps. Its not going to be totally accurate, but its a damn site better than relying on inaccurate temp probes.

Gautam: amen on that!

I'm sick and tired of people comparing apples with pears all the time...

i didnt think the article was bad at all. good choices, but ive never had experience with the case. im assuming they suggest mushkin level one because level two's are rare and discontinued, and cost a whole bunch. level ones are widely available and much cheaper.

and speaking of temps, does my readout sound alright?
tbred-b 2.3 (200x11.5) @1.74v
slk-900a with a little more than usual as5
panaflo 92mm mid or low. ~50 cfm
ambient of 24°C and case of 30°C
idle cpu socket is 35° and diode is 42°
cpu temps taken with mbm5 all in an a7n8x deluxe 1.04

does the a7n8x have a pretty decent readout combined with mbm5?

OK... for one, my temperarures are not being read by the onboard thermistor. They are being meassured by an external thermistor that is extremely accurate and is also placed as close to the core as possible without interfereing with the TIM. All my temperature readings are being made with this setup. Iv'e tested it by placing it in both boiling water and ice water and the thermistor was accurate within 1C after consecutive tests. I know that the true core temperature will be slightly different from my readins because it's not on the core, however, it is easily accurate within a few percent.

The 74gb raptor is faster than the 36, it uses new technology that allows it to do multiple tasks at once.

Ok, lets do the math.

2540/1467 * (1.87)^2/(1.5)^2 = 131 W

Thermal resistance of an SP97 w/ Tornado is .23 C/W

Delta between ambient and core is 30.34°C at full load, this isn't a variable.

So, either you've 10°C ambient temps, or your core temperature is way higher than 40.5°C fully loaded.

Back