• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Centrino 1.7ghz Vs. Other 1.7ghz Intel Chips ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Two things to remember: One, Centrino is not a processor, it's a name given to the entire platform of a Pentium-M processor built on the specialized chipset (I think it's the 8755 or something like that). The Pentium-M used in the Centrino-certified laptops are significantly faster than any other Intel chip of the same clockspeed. Second thing to remember: do not confuse the Pentium-M with the P3-M or the P4-M, as it is a completely different design.

The Pentium-M typically equates to a "normal" Intel processor of about 75-90% more clockspeed when it's at full power. Depending on what app you're using, the 1.7ghz P-M will likely bench out somewhere between a P4 2.8ghz all the way to a P4 3.2ghz.

What is REALLY nice about the P-M's is that they have many more power/speed states than either of the P3-M's or P4-M's as well as using much less power at full speed. This generally equates to useable power being five or more hours on a normal laptop, and also being able to react faster to the situation if/when more speed is needed.

They also output less heat :)

Thanks for that post :) I was curious, can they be used in a desktop mobo ?

In all practicality, Pentium-M chips can't be used in desktop computers beause there aren't any motherboards that are affordable that support the processor. If you do a search, there's a thread floating around the forums that talks about what your asking.

A "normal" desktop motherboard is incompatible with the Pentium-M chip. It still looks like a Socket478, except that it really is a Socket479 and many of the pinouts are no longer the same.

There has been talk about using the Donathan core (P-M) in a desktop system and even server systems, but so far I haven't seen any work towards that. I believe Shuttle may be selling one such board in a small form factor setup.

Back