• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$200 mistake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrainLifter

Registered
I have a MSI K7-L that no longer works .... this requires a story..

One night I was extremely tired and I decided it would be a good idea to pop up the locking bar on my proc 1 slot with a flathead screwdriver (I needed to test another proc to see if it was bad or if it was the other motherboard)... in doing so, I scracthed the PCB. Severing 3-4 tracks....These tracks are right next to each other (not more then 2mm apart)...

Is there anyway I can salvage this mobo... or should I buy a new one...?

I can solder, I have the equipment too.... it's just I can't tell if I could get it to work as I don't want to ruin anything else (ie proc, ram etc)....

Plz help... thanks

I highly doubt that you could. The work required would be just too fine to do with a normal soldering iron. Although, you could probably get some money for it from someone who wants to accept that challange(and be disapointed).

good luck, and welcome to the forums. :)

It's not impossible to do this. It is similar to the effort required to connect bridges together on a CPU chip. There are bridging kits available on the internet, or you can use an automobile defogger repair kit. It will require a very steady hand and a big magnifying glass. Don't give up. Try the challenge. The worst that can happen is it won't work. You are talking about signal leads so shorting them together probably won't affect any plug in components. Good Luck!

thanks for all your help,ill try your suggestions.jimmy g where can i get a defogger kit? any brand names?and a link to tutorials to connect bridges that you may know of?

BrainLifter said:
thanks for all your help,ill try your suggestions.jimmy g where can i get a defogger kit? any brand names?and a link to tutorials to connect bridges that you may know of?

Just go to auto zone, pep boys and maybe o'reilly's.

Don't let the word "kit" throw you off, you are looking for a small bottle of rust (color) like fluid.;)

EDIT: To make it simple, tape off the area around the part you are going to apply the liquid, gl!

It should be reparable with condictive ink, but new boards usualy have 5-6 layers and if it's to deep,it's gone m8!

Good luck anywayz!

JimmyG said:
It's not impossible to do this. It is similar to the effort required to connect bridges together on a CPU chip. There are bridging kits available on the internet, or you can use an automobile defogger repair kit. It will require a very steady hand and a big magnifying glass. Don't give up. Try the challenge. The worst that can happen is it won't work. You are talking about signal leads so shorting them together probably won't affect any plug in components. Good Luck!

I concur... as long as you've only severed surface traces then you should be able to fix it that way.

might need to use a very fine sand paper around before using the defogger to get some of that "varnish" off of the board so you have plenty of leads to reconnect. I would give it a try!

I would tape off the areas and work on one trace at a time. Get your favorite magnifying glass,conductive rust colored paint, and preferably a VERY thin copper wire. I found some copper wire inside a dead fan to work perfectly. Thinner than a human hair and it works out pretty good for me. I have fixed some mobo's before and you just have to take it slowly. After you are done/done testing to see if it works I would give it a clear coat of nail varnish so the conductive paint doesnt get bumped/flake off or get rubbed off accidentally. Good luck on fixing your board.

BrainLifter said:
I have a MSI K7-L that no longer works .... this requires a story..

One night I was extremely tired and I decided it would be a good idea to pop up the locking bar on my proc 1 slot with a flathead screwdriver (I needed to test another proc to see if it was bad or if it was the other motherboard)... in doing so, I scracthed the PCB. Severing 3-4 tracks....These tracks are right next to each other (not more then 2mm apart)...

Is there anyway I can salvage this mobo... or should I buy a new one...?

I can solder, I have the equipment too.... it's just I can't tell if I could get it to work as I don't want to ruin anything else (ie proc, ram etc)....

Plz help... thanks

:eek:

ouch, sorry to hear.

Back