• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to make your computer noiseless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Noise canceling isnt that great. Ive used it. It requires sound, like music or whatnot for it to work. It wont be PERFECTALLY silent with moving parts. Period.

Nice thought tho. It may help quiet PCs, but not silent

SewerBeing said:
the only noiseless pc is one with no active cooling, and no hdd, no floppy disk, no cd-rom drive. No moving parts period.

Toroids in PSU's and motherboards make noise, sometimes it's quite noticable, especially with crap MOSFETs.

There's a point where you get diminishing returns, it depends on the person though. I'd say for me sound insulation, HDD isolation (rubber bands) and watercooling would pretty much be as far as I'd go....

Sentential said:
Noise canceling isnt that great. Ive used it. It requires sound, like music or whatnot for it to work. It wont be PERFECTALLY silent with moving parts. Period.

Nice thought tho. It may help quiet PCs, but not silent

I disagree. I've used Bose noise cancelling headphones on an airplane and I can vouch that noise cancelling is AWESOME. It is well suited for cancelling constant sounds like the drone of a jet engine(used by NASA or on commercial flight), so a small unit that could be sold with or built into a fan would be perfect for PC silencing.

As soon as this device goes retail I'm buying one! Whose with me?! :drunk:

Cjwinnit said:

Toroids in PSU's and motherboards make noise, sometimes it's quite noticable, especially with crap MOSFETs.

There's a point where you get diminishing returns, it depends on the person though. I'd say for me sound insulation, HDD isolation (rubber bands) and watercooling would pretty much be as far as I'd go....

Definitly true, for me at least, if i cannot hear the pc in it's normal position when i am in my normal seating position, i'm perfectly happy, doesn't need to be silent, just not noticable at a distance.

Rich

Yah, the technology has been around for a few years now. If memory serves, it was originally developed for the guys who work on airport runways. However, I would be just a bit skeptical about putting a system in my case that is designed to put out sound pressure waves that (more or less) cancel out the pressure of my HSF. It sounds like it could be dangerous thing to put into a case with a modern processor.

Back