• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a good Mp3 Player i need help guys.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Alright guys i want a great mp3 player. Quite large 4gigs and up. I may settle with 1.5 but here are my issues.
I dont want to spend more than 250! I actually rather not spend more than 200!

So far i have come up with these as my options:

NOMAD MuVo^2 - 1.5gigs (i think it can be expanded to 4gigs)
I would really like this nomad muvo^2 but I couldnt find it at fry's i may try best buy later or compusa. Since i vaccation in the states and have availablity to all these great stores.

Nomad Jukebox Zen - So far to expensive.

IPOD - The batteries die after 18months right?

Iff the ipods batteries still die after 18 months i want nothing to do with them.

Thanks

If there is any i missed or you know of please help me out.

Zoltan

There are kits to fix the ipods batteries.
the IPod mini looks cool. Little bit bigger than my nomad MuVo 64mb mp3 player yet holds 4gigs. you can find them on ebay for about $100-$150 us.

Agent_Mull said:
There are kits to fix the ipods batteries.
the IPod mini looks cool. Little bit bigger than my nomad MuVo 64mb mp3 player yet holds 4gigs. you can find them on ebay for about $100-$150 us.

what do you mean kits to fix the ipod batteries? Do they still die, and if they do then how much does it cost for the kit or to replace it.

Zoltan

Agent_Mull said:
I think they still do die. Its like 70$ for a replacement kit, but theres still a risk of screwing up your ipod.

This is why i hate the ipod. Why would they make the batteries die in 18months? Money. Hence, i do not like apple. So im thinking of a nomad.

Is there any other alternatives that anyone knows about or has tried? Has anyone tried the nomad and what do they think of it?

~Zoltan

Agent_Mull said:
Apple didnt specifically make it that way, they just chose lithium-ion batteries, and they are only good for about 200-500 charges.
http://ipodbatteryfaq.com

what ever the reason i dont like it. If i pay 400 bux for something then that is it i want it for lifetime no replacment BS.

This is why im looking at the nomads.

Zoltan

Have you checked out the new Sony Hi-MD Walkmans?

They can fit a gig of data on a minidisc and cost about $250 bucks. A disc will be very cheap, probably around $5 or so...

Actually, I don't even know if they're out yet but I'm assuming so as I've seen reviews in several places now. and I can vouch for the Sony MD players, they are excellent and my only complaint was not enough space on a disc, well, here it is. :D

n17ikh said:
Have you checked out the new Sony Hi-MD Walkmans?

They can fit a gig of data on a minidisc and cost about $250 bucks. A disc will be very cheap, probably around $5 or so...

Actually, I don't even know if they're out yet but I'm assuming so as I've seen reviews in several places now. and I can vouch for the Sony MD players, they are excellent and my only complaint was not enough space on a disc, well, here it is. :D

Believe it or not i have thought alot about a MD. However, i dont feel like swapping Discs when i could just have my mp3 player have 850 songs on it :p

I dont think the sony MDs your talking about are out yet.
Thanks

Zoltan

CRAP!
i just found out that the nomad is lithium ion battery too. basically dies out too.

ARE THERE ANY mp3 players that dont die out!????? Use say regular batteries!!!!!

***%$% This lithium ion batteries are pising me off for some reason.

Unles i can find one that doesnt die looks like ill have to go with my original thought. MD.

~Zoltan

Using regular batteries would probably cost more than replacing the ipod battery every 18-24 months. Now if you useed rechargable batteries in a player that took them that might save a little cash. But either way it is going to cost over your original payment for the player:(

I think the ipod mini looks cool. Im gona get one when i get an mp3 player, unless theres a better one out then. like i said, 4 gigs in a package about .5" thick and 2.5 "wide.

The Rio Karma is a mighty fine player, the only problem is that they seem to have a high hard drive failure rate. At least thats what I get from riovolution.com, but the information is probably not really accurate. My rio player broke on the last day of it warranty, actually the warranty was technically over for 7 days but rio honored it anyways. Even though my play broke I still have no regrets about buying it, just got it back yesterday and im stoked.

My next player will probably be an i-river ihp120 (or 140 cause I kinda need that 40 gigs now). That player gets great reviews too, and its worth looking into. The i-river comes with a badass remote too. I hate fishing around in my pocket to advance songs....

I went out yesterday to get my ipod and holy crap they are expensive. I just cant afford 299 for the cheapest ipod 15giger.
The mini is only 250 but thats such a rip, its half the size of a ipods drive. I guess you pay because its smaller. If it was around 200 bux i would get it but its dissapointing how expensive these guys are.

I guess ill just wait a while.

Thanks for the help,

Zoltan

If you're looking budget look into one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000T1R4O/ref=nosim/techbargainscom/002-0069023-4795233

I had the older Archos Recorder 10 and it was an great player, great sound, and great open source firmware support. It was a little bulkier than other players, but I was willing to sacrafice that a while back for the lower price.

These are nice too, one of my friends owns one.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...69023-4795233?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

Last edited:
jspam said:
If you're looking budget look into one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000T1R4O/ref=nosim/techbargainscom/002-0069023-4795233

I had the older Archos Recorder 10 and it was an great player, great sound, and great open source firmware support. It was a little bulkier than other players, but I was willing to sacrafice that a while back for the lower price.

These are nice too, one of my friends owns one.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...69023-4795233?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

WOW this Archos 20 GB USB 2.0 MP3 Jukebox Recorder for under 200 bux looks awsome im going to hope i can find this in stores. How much bulkier was it?

~Zoltan

Lord_Zoltan said:

WOW this Archos 20 GB USB 2.0 MP3 Jukebox Recorder for under 200 bux looks awsome im going to hope i can find this in stores. How much bulkier was it?

~Zoltan

I'm pretty positive that it weighed 12 ounces (the one @ amazon is 10.7oz). The weight of mine included 4 AA NiMH batteries, but the new one uses a lithium-ion battery.

For Reference (from Amazon.com Tech Specs):
15/20 GB Ipod: 5.6oz
20 GB Rio Karma: 5.5oz
20 GB Iriver iHP-120: ~5.64oz

Update: Im not sure if the one listed on amazon will support the open source third party firmware: http://rockbox.haxx.se

Last edited:
jspam said:

I'm pretty positive that it weighed 12 ounces (the one @ amazon is 10.7oz). The weight of mine included 4 AA NiMH batteries, but the new one uses a lithium-ion battery.

For Reference (from Amazon.com Tech Specs):
15/20 GB Ipod: 5.6oz
20 GB Rio Karma: 5.5oz
20 GB Iriver iHP-120: ~5.64oz

Update: Im not sure if the one listed on amazon will support the open source third party firmware: http://rockbox.haxx.se

How do i know if it will be supported and is there any stores that i could get this at.

Zoltan

Back