• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.06 ht OCing ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TTP147

What are my chances of OCing this configuration , please ? P4 3.06GHz Northwood with hyperthreading at 533MHz (fsb?); 512 Mb DDR(pc2700); Pheonix-Award Workstation BIOS on an ELITE L4S5MG3 mobo. I've checked out my BIOS but there dont seem to be anything I can change voltage wise or anything else so i came here to ask the Pro's so i dont waste my time/money trying. I have read the newbie thread etc but i just want an answer so i can think about something else if it isnt possible .

If the bios has no options, then your overclocking capacity is severely limited. The fast newbie answer is "No". The in-depth, take-your-time, been-OC'ing-since-386-days answer would be "Possible".

If you have the time, have the eyes and have some luck you can try finding the clock generator IC on the board and using either SoftFSB, SetFSB or one of the other available tools to overclock it on-the-fly from Windows. This method is much less likely to succeed since you have no voltage options, no AGP/PCI locking and no memory divider or latency options.

Avoid ECS like the plague. Their PF1 865P/ICH5 board has all these advertisements for overclocking on the box, like 'Golden DDR sockets to enhance overclocking'. Well the damn board has no VCORE options in the BIOS (yep, only 1.525, which undervolts to 1.49), and FSB goes to a whopping 250! I tried SETFSB but no dice, get an error message.

I e-mailed them several times about upgrading the BIOS. Hung on to the board for 5 months and tried 2-3 BIOS updates. They refuse to offer more VCORE or fsb options so I sold the board. I will NEVER buy another ECS product. :mad:

Elite Board

I forgot to mention i had been to thier website , i did notice it mentioned a 'magic setting' what would this be ? On another note, would a BIOS update/flash (presuming 1 is available) be of any benefit ? And has anybody got one of these crappy boards to do anything out of the ordinary (apart from spontaneously combusting) ?

The PF1 board I had was the Deluxe version, their flagship Springdale board. They don't even have an 875P board. Yet in the BIOS there is only 1.525 VCORE and fsb to 250. So the chances your model will have ANY semblance of overclocking features are pretty nil.

When I pestered them about reasonable VCORE selections and increasing the fsb to 300+, they told me they don't support overclocking. The board was a fast board, but when you are limited to 1.49 actual VDIMM . . .

Elite Board

Looks like a no go area then. I have downloaded softfsb so i will have a go with the IC (pll ?) number option , secondly what is the 'magic setting' mentioned on the website ?(it sounds intriuging) Also , would a bios flash be of any use? I've looked into the available bios updates but they dont look too helpful from thier descriptions; so a good straight answer from someone and I think i'll leave it at that --- thanks for the help !

The PF1 is such a POS, Setfsb wouldn't work with it. I think the BIOS must inherently support fsb above 250.

Manufacturer's rarely admit to performance enhancements. You will never see in the text file: 'fsb increased to 350' or whatever. With the first DFI boards, fsb only went to 250, but they silently increased it to 350 on later BIOS updates. Heck, even Asus increased the fsb on their latest SIS boards later on. So ECS is pretty pathetic when they clearly advertise the overclocking features of the board.

All you can do is flash and check if additional VCORE, VDIMM, or whatever is available. Like I said, with ECS, don't hold your breath.

I'd caution against flashing the BIOS unless you know for a fact it works. A bad flash can kill your mobo. Don't think you're going to find many people here with personal experience on that mobo. You might need to do a google search out on the web. I never heard of the "magic" setting. I'm guessing you probably can't O/C that mobo.

Thanks to you all ,i appreciate the help ,its obviously a no go so.....thanks again ; next time i'll investigate more thoroughly !....................CHEERS !..................... See ya later !

Clevor said:
The PF1 is such a POS, Setfsb wouldn't work with it. I think the BIOS must inherently support fsb above 250.

Manufacturer's rarely admit to performance enhancements. You will never see in the text file: 'fsb increased to 350' or whatever. With the first DFI boards, fsb only went to 250, but they silently increased it to 350 on later BIOS updates. Heck, even Asus increased the fsb on their latest SIS boards later on. So ECS is pretty pathetic when they clearly advertise the overclocking features of the board.

All you can do is flash and check if additional VCORE, VDIMM, or whatever is available. Like I said, with ECS, don't hold your breath.

Just a tangent to the topic of this thread, but at least three of the BIOSes that Albatron put out for my board listed performance enhancements -- one for higher than 255FSB, one for enabling PAT, and one for high speed RAM stability options.

Albuquerque said:

Just a tangent to the topic of this thread, but at least three of the BIOSes that Albatron put out for my board listed performance enhancements -- one for higher than 255FSB, one for enabling PAT, and one for high speed RAM stability options.

LOL it is fairly special for a BIOS update to allow more voltage/Mhz. I've seen the implementation of "high speed stability improvements" mostly done by means of dialing back any sensitive latency that the user has set too fast. Of course without actually showing that in the BIOS. :S

Back