• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800e deluxe fried 2 times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rhino56

i dont know if they fried or what but this is the second board i had do this.
everything was running fine, temps were fine, and all of a sudden the screen freezes up and i then the mouse, same thing happened both times.
first board went for a month with no problems and this one went for an hour.
well i reboot and nothing at all, no screen whatsoever, no bios.
i take out the battery and then let it sit for a bit, put it back, try it again and nothing.
im not sure whats happening but has anyone else had this problem before?
im having to send both MBs back to newegg. the thing that is really odd is that they were running fine and for no apparant reason they just quit.

could it be the pwr supply causing the prob?I dont see 2 mobos in a row having the same issue like that. Sounds like something on your rig causing it.

By the way...Why do you have a pic of my mom for your avatar???:eek:

I think I fried my bios chip yesterday, the mobo wont boot anymore and all I did was reset the CMOS.

I've tried everything from different video card, removing battery, changing the jumper, different monitor. No luck.

Maybe you have the same problem as me?
www.badflash.com

I fried the northbridge (MCH) on my old P4C800-E. Couldn't get the board to POST at all in Dual-Channel mode. System was running perfectly fine. I restarted it after installing a few Windows Updates and at POST, I got the familiar BEEP BEEP BEEP of the BIOS telling me that my memory was dead.

XMS3700 Memory was checked & ran flawlessly in Dual-Channel mode on an A7N8X and was being used in the P4C800-E up until the failure.

If I installed both modules in different banks, the board would start up and work normally, just in single-channel mode.

I think it was because I neglected to actively cool the MCH while I was overclocking (I had a bum 2.4 that wouldn't go over 3.00 GHz, was running @ 2.9 GHz (240x12), 1.6V VCORE, 2.75V VDIMM).

Polargoat said:
could it be the pwr supply causing the prob?I dont see 2 mobos in a row having the same issue like that. Sounds like something on your rig causing it.

lol, thats not his mom, looks like one of the star strek's crew :D

Polargoat said:

because im your daddy?

i think it was the micro cooler, the retention clips dont seem to put much force on the NB, on both boards i swapped the stock NB for the micro cooler from thermalright. it was up and running fine so it wasnt a short from it, and the temp was fine also. i just dont know what else it could be.
both happened the same way, windows froze, then the mouse froze, then i try and re boot and nothing comes up.
im going to put it back together when i get the MB back from repair and keep the stock nb cooler on and just somehow use a fan on it. i hope that was what had caused it.

around last month i had just finished building a new system for myself. everything was working fine for about 2 weeks. then the systems just became extremely unstable. no recent changes were made to the system to cause this (that i am aware of).
So i tested all my equipment. everything else worked fine but the motherboard.
RMA'd the motherboard. got it about 5 days later. put the ram, video card, etc in. bare minimum. powered on. so far so good.
went into bios and it locks up within 3 seconds. *held power button in for a few seconds to power it off since just a push didnt work. wait a few then power it back on. no display... power it off for around 5 minutes then back on. starts up fine. this time i decide not to go into bios. so i let it run.... locked up in about 8.
RMA'd again...
currently waiting on my third board. should arive in around 2-3 days. (from newegg.com)

im just keeping my fingers crossed this one will work fine like my first one did (but stay working fine).

(new to the forum btw)

anywho. anyone else have problems with the p4 asus boards?

im thinking that if your going to overclock these you really need to keep them cool. ive had 3 boards do the same thing to me.
i have been overclocking, the first 2 happened same day i changed my nb cooler. it had good contact with a fan. so i have no explanation really for that. just events that had occured.

my last one was running fine at 4.2 ghz for about 5 days, a month before it was fine at 4.1 for the whole month.
temps on the MB never got above 30C
there is some flaw that these boards have and with my setup i seem to be finding it. ive asked newegg to tell me what was wrong this time.

hmm.. well i had mine running w/o being oc'd at all and the board just becomes unstable for no reason after a couple weeks.
perhaps there is a conflict with my hardware and this board and my friend who basically has the same setup as i just got lucky...
i hope not because i really like this board. worked extremely well when it was working...

So far so good on my end and its been about a month.

By the way, the freezing could be a sign of unstable OC. I just hit the power suply switch and go into the BIOS.

Back