• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your opinion on teh Xaser III steel case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

Hopefully in a few months I plan on building a new system, and planned on using the Xaser III black steel case as my starting point.

A few questions. How loud is this thing? Does it help running the case fans throught the fan controller. I like the fact it has so many fans, but am worried about the noise level.

Thanks!

i have one its a really nice case...well i like it anyway, its a lot quieter than my old powermax. Are you getting the optional powersupply i really like it it works great oh and where are you going to get it from newegg.com has great prices on it and i got it 2 days later, oh how i love newegg

Why do you all care how heavy it is?

The only time you move it is when you're carrying it to a LAN or something...

My main comp is in a 70 pound 4U server case. Not hard to carry at all, unless you're a weakling =\

HEAVY, I used to take mine back and forth between home, and College every weekend. Empty, the case weights about 40lbs, mine in my sig, weighs about 73lbs. It is a good workout. One problem I have with it is that the stock fans really suck (IMO), they dont push much air, and with the filters, they get almost no airflow. Also the stock fan controller is kinda weak, they must have bad connections or something, cuz I noticed I had to push the dial in to get full speed out of a fan even when it was set to full speed. The top blow hole doesnt work very well either in its stock setup, the holes are too restricting to allw air to flow through them. There was a thread in the cooling section all about the Xaser III, but it seems to hav been removed. I wish it were still around, cuz it was a great source of infor about the Xaser III.

I have a steel Xaser III and yes its a rather heavy case. But its not really heavy enough to be a problem moving it. I really have enjoyed mine, and love modifying it almost daily in some way or another.

Airflow in these cases is really horrible stock. Restrictive fangrills stamped in the case, tons of cables for all the accessories and bad orientation on the hard drive cages (clarify: Great for useability, horrible for airflow). I had my case for about 6 months before I finally decided to modify the case. Reading this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270542 is a great place to start. Lots of good information in there on how to improve airflow in the Xaser case. As outlined in that thread by others, I followed suit and cut my fan grills out, removed the hard drive cage and extra cabling and went to work on improving overall airflow. Really did work wonders.

Thank you for all the feedback! Can't be any worse than my current POS case.

When I get it I will post pictures of my modding. I am new to the whole modding thing, so everyone will have to bear with my stupid questions.

Actually I shouldn't say that, I did mod my current case. It is a puny mid tower with the PS mounted sideways, and came with no stock fans. I didn't know alot about computers when I built my first one. It has a fan cage in the front, so i cut out the stamped fangrill, but wanted to keep a filter on it for dust control so I got a couple of those metal mesh filters. I also cut out a hole on the side of the case and top and put a 80mm purple LED fan in all three spots. My case temps and CPU under load ran about 42c while folding before this mod. With the extra fans it runs down around 31c while folding. That is a nice drop. I will probably also rip the PS apart and remove some of the power lines I do not use, as it adds alot of clutter to such a small case.

When I get a chance I will post some pics of my current case. it is not much, but it was a start.

Thanks everyone!

BC|Wulf said:
Hopefully in a few months I plan on building a new system, and planned on using the Xaser III black steel case as my starting point.

A few questions. How loud is this thing? Does it help running the case fans throught the fan controller. I like the fact it has so many fans, but am worried about the noise level.

Thanks!

Other then Thermaltake cases being one of the most ugly cases made then I guess its ok

Re: Re: What is your opinion on teh Xaser III steel case?

Dubbin1 said:

Other then Thermaltake cases being one of the most ugly cases made then I guess its ok

You think they are ugly? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they look sweet.

I still don't know if I want to get the aluminum or the steel case. My only problem with aluminum is how soft the metal is. Sure it is lighter, but if screw start stripping out on it, it is junk!

Back