• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly something that I have done way wrong.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

I think that I have been confused by the flags for the F@H client.

On about 10 P4 rigs I have been using -forceasm and I think that I was suposed to be using -forcesse.

Are the P4s running SEE if they are on the ver 4.0 client, or do I need to go and fix all of them.

Please let me know, as I feel quite stupid.

P4's should use SSE by default, no flags needed and will run SSE with forceasm, forcesse or no force flag at all.

Did you use the one-click install? if so then it already has the forcesse flag, if not then just replace the forceasm with forcesse, the only thing that will change is that you will get better folding performance! :)

jcrox said:
Did you use the one-click install? if so then it already has the forcesse flag, if not then just replace the forceasm with forcesse, the only thing that will change is that you will get better folding performance! :)

No I did not, as I have had too many problems. I have a floppy with all the setup files on it.

then all you should need to do is change forceasm to forcesse and that should fix any problems and also give a boost to performance.

nikhsub1 said:
P4's should use SSE by default, no flags needed and will run SSE with forceasm, forcesse or no force flag at all.

You don't need to run the -forcesse flag for P4 rigs. -forcesse is for AMD rigs. The P4's will use sse as default with the folding client...The same goes for P3 rigs. My lappy is a P3 850 and it uses sse without the flag.

i thought the forceasm was for amds? am i wrong or is this something different?

jcrox said:
with the new client, version 4, you must use forceSSE with AMD's to run SSE. Forceasm will force 3DNow! which you dont want.

jcrox said:

That was so last month.... :rolleyes: :D

It changes all the time, but here's the latest:

-forceasm = Dead, don't need it anymore
-forceSSE = use it on AMD's, P4's use it by default but it will not hurt to have it in there.

Just in case anyone forgot where to look for the flags in the service install (and is too lazy to go to "The Ultimate Install" sticky), flags for the FAH service are located in your registry here:

HKEY_Local_Machine/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/FAH/Parameters/AppParameters

You should have:

-service -advmethods -forceSSE for single installs and,
-local -service -advmethods -forceSSE for dual or quad installs (unless you are running the dual/quad install on a single cpu. In that case, ditch the -local).

Wedo

ahhh, well that is good to know...right now i have no amds among my folders but i will keep this in mind for when i do get an amd machine folding! :) Most of my friends seem to have P4 systems, except for a coworker with dual opterons! yes that is correct....dual opterons!

i got rid of the -service flag in mine because i use EM3 and have it set to start my 4 instances. I like being able to turn it off without having to go through processes and shutting each individual instance down. But as for the -advmethods tag i will put it in when i get home from work....life as a computer tech sucks.

-forceasm IS NOT DEAD!!! DO NOT CONFUSE PEOPLE WEDO! It's only for rigs that DON'T have SSE available, like ALL Athlons before the XP's and also the older Durons. These need 3DNow optimizations to have more of a boost than no flags. I have an 800 Mhz Slot Athlon and a 1 Gig Socket A Athlon that use -forceasm due to no SSE. The 1 Gig is good for about 20 or so PPD but at least it's folding. Without 3DNow it would be REALLY bad. Just clearing things up for those that don't have all P4's and Newer Socket A chips.

Back