• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT 2004 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
Alright, I just purchased the SE DVD-ROM and I installed this bad boy. So, I have an hour before work and I go to run the game and it won't run. The splash screen comes up, then goes away.

Dissapointed I am. So I call ATARI's tech support and the guy walks me through a few things....like making sure I have AUTO-RUN enabled....duh. Even if it's not I know how to get to the exe.

So I give him all my system info and he's telling me to make sure I defrag, have all the windows updates and current drivers. I'm like duh you know.

So as of right now, the game will not launch. I'm ****ed. So if any of you have any problems with the DVD-ROM edition or the CD-ROM's, please let me know of any problems you encountered and how you were able to fix them if you were able to. Thanks.

I had the same issue with the demo on my Mandrake box.

It was crashing on me beucase there was no 3D support.

Try updating the video drivers.

I just installed, played for an hour, no problems. Ran it at 1024x768x32 with everything except texture detail set to max. Textures were set to "normal". I have no lag, there are no show-stopping bugs, and most maps load in 30 seconds or less.

Hmm. I guess I'm just lucky.

ThePerfectCore said:
A ton of people are having these problems. Check out the Atari message boards, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=214

So far I've noticed one common factor - ATI cards. Not sure what to tell you, other than that you're not alone.

Thanks for the input. One guy has the DVD-ROM version and it wouldn't load on one of his comps, but it would on another. This not loading is also associated with the CD-ROM versions as well. So apparently the game is disagreeing with something and people have not found out what it is yet. My a@@ will be callign tech support yet again this morning as soon as they get there at 8am.

This is not warez related. If you read the Atari message boards, Epic is suggesting people get a hold of the no cd patch for Unreal 2004 if you are having trouble getting past the spash screen like me. I got a hodl of the no cd patch and viola. The game works. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

tom10167 said:
Where did you get the patch from?

My 9700pro is getting destroyed in this game, everything is set to low and it still runs slow. :( WHY???

Dont say this this !!! Im getting the game tomorrow and am looking forward to at least 1280x1024 with some sort of aa and af

I have the special edition DVD and had no problems at all installing or playing the game. The load times were longer than UT2003, but nothing excessive. All the maps ran fine with occasional lag on Onslaught maps. CTF maps were not laggy at all.

Of the 4 other clan members I played with last night, 1 had problems with the stuttering or whatever that problem is. He fixed it by changing the preloading player modes option.

One other clan member had really long loading times and low FPS, but his card is a Geforce 4 mx. I can't imagine that hard drive is all too fast or he has a lot of ram if he has that POS card.

For those of you wondering about performance, I first played it at all the settings maxed out with 2x aa no af. It was very playable. I lowered the setting though cause I play instagib. Look below for my system specs.

side note, Assualt really kicked ***. Those maps were very fun.
Also, the leviathan is as cool as it sounded in the reviews.

This is not warez related. If you read the Atari message boards, Epic is suggesting people get a hold of the no cd patch for Unreal 2004 if you are having trouble getting past the spash screen like me. I got a hodl of the no cd patch and viola. The game works. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

I can confirm this. Several people have made threads over there, and Atari board mods haven't done anything to clean them up. Seeing as most people who bought the game are out for blood right now, that's probably a wise move.

again, how did you all get these games so soon? I thought it wasn't even supposed to be released until tomorrow

I actually left my house to buy it at Electronic Boutique. :)

About the fps: When playing by myself against the cpu, I was running 6xAA, 16xAF, and everything MAXED OUT for image quality, Fraps was reporting about 70, with dips to high 50s, VERY playable.

Online, oddly enough, is where the drops come in. I can't seem to figure out why, but I have to significantly lower the settings, normal, normal, a few "lower"s. I can also say that I don't really notice a difference. Honestly, I mean, unless you're sitting there zooming 10x with a sniper on a blade of grass 3 inches away from you, when ARE you going to notice? The overall effect is nothing major, so AA-2x and AF-8x is fine for me. It just seems... odd.

Posidon42 said:
again, how did you all get these games so soon? I thought it wasn't even supposed to be released until tomorrow

No, the game isnt supposed to be released tomorrow, they were shipped a week or 2 ago, and usually the game gets to warehouses and stores at the same time. Your game isnt shipped from atari or whoever is distributing it, its shipped from the warehouse, so that tacks on time. Should have just went to the store :rolleyes: .

Got mine today! WoooooHoooooo! It is even better than I thought it was going to be. I picked my copy up at BestBuy for $29.99 with a $10 mail in rebate. =$19.99 for the DVD set. The headphones that came with it suck, but it is something. I wont even use the voice command in the game I will use my Sennheiser HD 280pro headphones to listen to the sweet digital sound of the game.:p

The game runs fine on my comp most of the time....i play it on 1078 with all settings maxed...my specs are in sig...I was wondering if anyone knew the command fo rthe fps...although i do sometimes get looooong loading times...and after I load when the countdown thing is happening my comp lags up...it gets annoying sometimes...

lousy Best Buy cancelled my order due to "unexpected high demand". All I can say is I had better get the special edition or I will be ****ed!! :mad: Now I have to try to go there during my lunch break tomorrow.

sirjinx1974 where did you get the $10 rebate from?

Back