• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have to use barbs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I have a decient heter core with 3/4 inch inlets.The 1/2 inch Id tubing heated with water will fit over the 3/4 inlets of the rad easily.

Should I do it that way, or install brass barbs on the hetercore ?

Last edited:
I put barbs on as I feel it makes it eaiser to work with. It look better to, not so hacked, if you know what I mean.

As long as it doesn't leak you are fine.

I personally don't like putting barbs on a HC. The copper pipe is much more leak free due to increased surface area, and the fact that you're stretching the tubing means no clamps :D

Good I like the idea of having a bigger inlet and out let and the factory solder in place...

diehrd said:
Good I like the idea of having a bigger inlet and out let and the factory solder in place...

Well it doesn't make a difference, it still get jamed down to the smallest fitting.

Only as strong as the weakest link. I know you have heard that one before. Same rule apply here.

So why add more links? :D

I'm not a fan of putting barbs on the heatercore as long as it's reasonable to stretch your tubing over it. You get less flow restriction, it's less work, and it doesn't look bad at all.

johan851 said:
So why add more links? :D

I'm not a fan of putting barbs on the heatercore as long as it's reasonable to stretch your tubing over it. You get less flow restriction, it's less work, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Thats the thing you don't get less flow restriction. You still have 1/2" barbs other places in the system, thats where it get backed up. Just becuase 2 of the fittings are larger does not mean that it is still not limited by the other 1/2" fittings.

yup

it is only as fast as the smallest barb(or tube)

or

flow is no faster than the smallest restriction

but i used two size tubes because it was an easier fit and i am lazy

I understand the restrictions, I just see everyone using barbs and wanted to understand why.

ease of use

they want the tubes to go on easy or they like the looks

mine look great at the pipes coming out(5/8 id tubing is huge)

but i have a reducer inline from both sides
from 5/8 " to 1/2 "

that looks kind funny but it cool

The restrictions add up. A system with one hose barb is less restrictive than one with two barbs, or ten.

pelikan said:
The restrictions add up. A system with one hose barb is less restrictive than one with two barbs, or ten.

Very true. 10 half inch barbs will have 10 times the resistance of a single half inch barb.

Restriction is also a function of the length of the restriction. A half inch hose barb is relatively no big whoop.

Thanks uberblue. Stretching the tubing over the heatercore barbs will still cause less restriction - maybe not much, but every little bit counts.

you can always change your entire system to 3/4" ID :)
I found some kickass inline pond pumps with 3/4"id , clearflex and tygon has 3/4" ID tubing.

all you need is a customw aterblock with 3/4" barbs and you're set!

Back