• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ah crap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok...on my mobo, to mount my HS, there are 3 pins on each socket...my one heatsink has a tab for all 3 on both sides, my other doesnt..WELL GUESS WHAT...the middle tab on both sockets chipped off....so my one HS is hangin on there...but if i ever upgrade...mite have some probs...i figure imunna just get a nu HS with the 3 holes to take the end ones....otherwise, any way to fix this?

Well, from what I could understand through your bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation, I think you are missing the middle lugs on each side of your socket for mounting heatsinks.

This isn't a big deal - you can stick with the HSF you use now that uses all three lugs, or you can upgrade if your mobo has the 4 mounting holes for heatsinks to bolt down.

If you don't have the mobo mounting holes then you will have to stick with HS's that engage all 6 socket lugs.

JB Weld may or may not work. It depends upon how hot it gets in the viscinity of the lug. Also, what are the chances that you still have the lug the broke off?

JB weld works on cracked engine blocks, I don't see it becomeing a problem with adhering the lug nut back on... Doing it cleanly and accurately enough so as to be able to use the lug might be a problem. If you screw it up, removing the JB welded lug could turn out to be a larger problem.

Not really a good or worthwhile option unless another lug breaks and your desperate IMO.

I havn't had much success with small parts and JB Weld. Either it doesn't have enough surface area to work well or I was too hasty in my setup.

It takes a long time to cure. While it cures there should be no stress placed on it until fully done. Not a good idea in small spaces like this though.

lol Yea i was tired when i wrote that. All my posts last night have horrible spelling and grammar. No i do not have the bolt on sadly. Its a Gigabyte GA-7DXPDW, had it running like this for awhile, but im thinking about upgrading the CPU's, and im not the best with removing and replacing heatsinks.

Many high quality HS's have only one lug. If you have two engaged on each side, I would think that it's enough. I have an HCC-001 on a rig that I transport frequently, and it only has a one lug (per side) engagement. It doesn't move at all, so I wouldn't worry too too much.

Its not. They dont make high quality HSs with 1 lug anymore, they all are bolted on.

You can get some decent mid-high range ones that are 3 lugs though. SLK900A or the swifttech 462 (I think thats its name)

Well, this is not a serious problem. I have had most of my breakage issues with the damned stock intel HSFs, they have the most difficult mounting mechanism, even compaired to ones that weigh twice as much. On my PIII rig i lost both lugs. This left me to use the superglue+grese method since i did not have any epoxy and didnt want a permanant attatchment. I would not reccomend using an SLK-900A with two broken lugs. There is simply alot of weight resting now on only 2 lugs per side. A great option would be the ALX-800 as it has a lighter construction. You could also most likely get away with using an SLK-800a but i would stay away from the 900.

Back