• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a dual in a week what do I do with it...:P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiveohhh

Right now I have a webserver I run at home just for kicks. Its running fedora core. Its a p3 1.4 tualatin with 600 some megs of ecc ram. I just came across another p3 1.4 and curious what I should do with this new found combo. Its way overkill for my webserver that is basically my testing machine for php. I could fold with it, but theres gotta be something more "exciting" than that...

I know its not much compared to new dual setups, but my first dually setup:p

maybe I could break into the top 100 with it ...Made it to about 105 once, and than fell back to my current 130ish..

rip dvds. . . errr. . . back up your legally purchased dvd's. encode some songs. Play with maya3d. . . set a useless process to super high affinity (ie, high priority) and then play ut2004 and laugh. . . .i dunno. . . write a multithreaded md5 brute force passwd cracker. . .set up a multithreaded chess engine (Crafty, Deep Fritz) and watch it kill all your other computers. I dunno possibilites are endless

ookabooka said:
rip dvds. . . errr. . . back up your legally purchased dvd's. encode some songs. Play with maya3d. . . set a useless process to super high affinity (ie, high priority) and then play ut2004 and laugh. . . .i dunno. . . write a multithreaded md5 brute force passwd cracker. . .set up a multithreaded chess engine (Crafty, Deep Fritz) and watch it kill all your other computers. I dunno possibilites are endless

I suppose it was kind of a stupid question. Not going to have a monitor hooked up to it, so it kinda limits me:p

Use vnc or ssh. You can do plenty with it, even without a monitor, except maybe gaming.

Arkaine23 said:
Use vnc or ssh. You can do plenty with it, even without a monitor, except maybe gaming.

All I've used since it was installed is ssh:p Gaming would have been the fun thing, but its just got onboard video, If I can get the temps to stay under 50 I'll fold with it 24/7 otherwise can't afford decent hsf combos to keep it cool(atleast in the summer:p gets hot in here..

Back