• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8E Prescott, a few questions before I kill it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Softgod

Disabled
I have a P4 2.8E and I have had it at 3.5 or so on air with default voltage. I will have a Peltier/water cooler from Swiftech in a few days. Is it logical to think that I can hit 4.0 with that setup? The mobo is a hand out from my favorite DFI rep (I throw LAN parties) and it is an 875P. The RAM is Hyper X pc4000. Lets here some ideas on this, like what voltage I should try and if it is safe...and what voltage is safe for these things.

I've seen a lot of those Prescotts do 3.4 gig on default voltage, but wimp out at 3.8 gig even with high vcore. They seem to handle 1.5v to 1.6v, but dang that really heats up the mobo mosfets. The higher the vcore, the more power it sucks and the hotter everything gets.

ya not wrong there batboy, my 430watt psu is crapping out, should have a 550watt in a couple of days, my +12v is 11.74v and drops to 11.68v -11.58v underload, vcore drops to 1.38v underload:(

Mine does 3.22Ghz 230FSB@stock, but to keep Prime95 stability it already takes 1.55V @3.43Ghz 245FSB and the heat is tremendous compared to my old Northwood. I want at least the 3.4Ghz though (for the SETI team!!!), so I'm going to mod some ramsinks to put on those mosfets this weekend.

btw I can run 3DMark @3.64Ghz 260FSB 1.585Vcore so I dunno if my CPU is a dog or not, but I just want a 100% Prime95 stable OC...

Last edited:
I have had my 2.8E up to 3.5 Ghz on stock voltage, temps stay real low now that I have it watercooled. However, until my new dual chan ram comes, I am still using this old PC2700 and can't run over 166Mhz or it becomes unstable, since at 250 FSB with a 3:2 ratio its right at 166.
I just ordered 512 megs OCZ EL gold PC3700, so I should be able to get much higher than 3.5 after that.

BTW, this new PolarFlo SF waterblock is awesome. Idle temps are 39C, full load temp is 43C with a black ice extreme, via 1300, and a bay reservoir. A tad bit better than the 45C idle/60+C full load temps of the retail HSF :)

The company had an auction on ebay, so I got this one cheaper than normal, but you can buy them directly from www.polarflo.com

It's not the cheapest block out there, but you can get it in your choice of colors and the performance is excellent. The base of it looks like a damn mirror :)

Well worth the money in my opinion.

-Chris

Back