• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing a 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I have been trying to overclock my 2600+ for a week now. I cannot get it stable. My specs are in my signature. I'm a newbie at this and friend was helping me. I need settings for everything, memory, cpu, etc.

i don't remember this very well, but do they make Tbred 2600? let me go check real quick, it's important cuzz that's how we'll figure out what multiplier and FSB u can do, espeically since u have that PC 2700 RAM.

alright, no different in FSB between the barton and Tbred 2600, it's just the multiplier that's different. it'll be real hard to OC any of them cuzz u have PC 2700 RAM, so u'll have to run on a ratio if u wanna OC, and AMD will loose major performance when u run on ratio, i suggest u go grab some PC 3200 ram and u'll be much better.

he got the stuff in his sig dude, everything is fine except that he got PC 2700 RAM, unless he can go above 166mhz on that RAM he's stuck.

I tried 170*13, Default is 167*12.5. My CPu is a thoroughbred, and it is unlocked if that helps. my load temps after 2 hours of NHL 2004 are 31sys and 34cpu. on idle it is 26sys and 30cpu. Getting new Ram is not an option. Just don't frankly have the cash right now. I want to build another rig, so this will have to do for now. Hope you guys can help me

ok, it's unlock, so that's good :) the default is 12.5 X 166, there's no 167FSB at default, and ur loaded temp might now be right, run prime 95 for 15 min and it'll give u a more accurate loaded temp but if u reported the right temp then u'll have good potential, what i would try to do is up the multiplier
166 X 13 = 2158
166 X 14 = 2324
looking at that, if u can up the V core a little and try to do 13.5 X 166 and u get 2241 hehe same as my system in my sig, ur has more L2 cache, mine is a duron.
although do try to get 166 X 14 and see if it's stable, it a bit on the high side for Tbred though, but i'm sure u can do 13.5 X 166.

There's more benefit and stability in raising the FSB, than pushing the multiplier. It's potentially safer, as you're not bumping the CPU speed in such large increments:

Going from 2083MHz (12.5x166.67) to 2166MHz (13x166.67) is a 83.5MHz jump. Going up to 2125MHz (12.5x170) is a jump of 42MHz, but is preferable as it's more stable and slightly faster.

dicecca112 is lucky to have the unlocked T/bred 2600+ ;)

Oh, I have fairly standard Samsung PC2700 sticks, that comfortably do 175 FSB (want to try for 180)

Last edited:
he's lucky alright, but i just wanna be on the safe side, as u know his RAM might now even do 1mhz more than it stock speed, and i don't know how well it'll do, increasement of 85 mhz isn't bad, i pushed my chip 400+mhz increasement in 1 time and it works fine :), hehe i had to do it cuzz every time i change the votage, i had to open the computer and do the pin mod again. Raise the FSB if u can, if not then multiplier.

alright I ran prime95 for 15 minutes long I was instructed and the temps I got were 29sys and 37cpu, with the hs fan rpm at 4600.

If you're trying to test the CPU only, use the Torture test, and select the first option (for most stress on CPU). If your chip can pass 24 hours of that, most likely it will pass whatever # of hours of whatever you can throw at it.

ive got a 2600+(unlocked) and 3500ram but my board is a kt400 and when i bump the ram too high it gets insanely hot.

right now im at 170x13 with 1.7vcore but my temps are sick, like 43ºidle 48º load and mobo around like 37º. im not quite sure what to do next. my max oc was something like 145x16 or so and i ran sisandra but anything more than that as far as apps at that speed and it locked up. i had a 350watt no name psu then so im not sure if that might have been the problem. i have a volcano 9 cooler and 4 case fans with those temps D: im not sure what to do.

do i bumps fsb and try a lower mult.? or bump mult and lower fsb? what would give me better perf and WHAT THE HELL SHOULD MY VCORE BE!?!? im lost on that part D:

ty

definitely bump the FSB while lowering the multiplyer.
You'll see much more performance at the same speed with High FSB*low moltiplyer than Low FSB*high multiplyer

i'm a safe person, and most people here likes to have 1.8Vcore on air, more than that and u are asking for problems, espeically with that generic 350W PSU. as for moving up FSB or multiplier, u have a KT400 board, they don't have alot of options for OC, and they also don't have PCI/ AGP lock, so if u go anywhere above 166FSB, ur PCI are out of spec already. u have it at an ok speed already, i wouldn' push it, as ur temp are reaching the 50C loaded mark. keep it like that, if u don't wanna, then try n do 166 X 14 for some more speed and ur PCI will snap back into spec.

I have an unlocked 2600+ but is my MSI K7n2 delta limiting me? It seems that it can't go over 13x in multi's

You will need to do a wire trick to go over x12.5 multiplier. Nothing really complicated. Take a speaker wire, and then take out a single strand of wire out of it. then check out the bottom pic here for the correct socket pic-holes.
Just remove the chip, make the wire into a U shape and insert into the circled in red two pin-holes in the socket.
Reinsert the proc and you'll POST with x20 multiplier at first. so I suggest setting the FSB to 100MHz before doing this mod.

Back