• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this setup sound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuonji

Registered
Athlon XP Mobile 2600 on an Abit NF7-S board with two 512 sticks of PC 3500 Kreton DDR ram with a Thermalright SP-97 for cooling within a Thermaltake Xaser III V1420 case.

Anyone see any issues or deficiencies with this setup? Because I just ordered it and I hope I made a good decision.

I'm going to test it out first with my 'old' Ti4600 and see what kind of improvement I get, but most likely I'm going to go for the Radeon 9800XT.

I've had bad luck in the past trying to overclock. My current rig is an athlon xp 2100 on an MSI KT3 board with a single stick of Mushkin pc 2700 DDR. I couldn't get it stable past 1.8ghz which is hardly overclocking it at all. I'm hoping to have better luck with this upgrade.

The fan will be the default fan that comes with the kit. I do believe I have an extremely noisy and very high RPM sunon extreme fan that might fit that heatsink, but I'm not sure if the fan I have is 92mm or not. I'll probably use the stock fan for a while and see what temps I get and if necessary I'll switch to a higher rpm fan. This will be a gaming system only and noise won't be much of an issue really if performance increases are present.

Your XP2100 must have been a palomino - end of the line for that model as well so very little headroom. Good luck with the Barton I am sure you will get more success.

Back