Entimann
Registered

abit nf7-s & 2500+ barton

abit nf7-s
2500+ barton
2xBuffalo Technology 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200
radeon 9700pro
160 gb maxtor 7200rpm

this is the first computer i've ever built and it works great but i want to overclock it.

i figured out that the processor is locked so i guess i can only do the fsb.

i got it up to 194 but at 195 the screen just stays black. at 194 windows won't start. even at like 175 i get that screen that has pick if i want to start windows in safe mode. i don't know why it does this, the temperature of the cpu is like 40 celcius and the system is 28.

can anyone help me out?
Entimann is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-19-04, 02:20 PM   #2
itshondo

you probably need to up your vcore - raise it a little at a time until it gets stable. Watch your temps though (Motherboard Monitor 5).

What Heatsink/fan are you using?

Bump your chipset voltage up a notch as well.

Windows / Backup RIG
- Win 7 64 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 - Q9550 @ 3.2 Ghz - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B HSF - 8gb GSkill PC2 6400- Evga GTX 260 - Antec 900 Case - Rosewill RP550-2 550W PSU - WD 74 GB Raptor + 2 - Sony Optiarc SATA DVD Burner

HEATWARE 20-0-0
itshondo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 02:26 PM   #3
Sentential
Contributing Member

Quote:
i got it up to 194 but at 195 the screen just stays black. at 194 windows won't start. even at like 175 i get that screen that has pick if i want to start windows in safe mode. i don't know why it does this, the temperature of the cpu is like 40 celcius and the system is 28.
^^ I bet that your FSB to CPU ratio isnt 1:1. If you set that ratios 1:1 it will have no trouble getting that far.

Im sure ur dividors are causing ur RAM to be heavily overclocked, thus leading to system instability
Sentential is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 06:16 PM Thread Starter   #4
Entimann
Registered

ok i got the fsb to 185mhz.

when i set it to 190 windows started but then it restarted and i checked the temp it was only 45c

i set the fsb to cpu ration at 6/6.

what can i do to make it go faster?
Old 03-19-04, 06:20 PM   #5
glock19owner

Set the ram to auto...then up the voltage about .50 more...if it still doesnt get into widows...keep upping the voltage until it does...but at the same time...keep a eye on your temps...you want to try to keep it 50 - 55C max if possible...when running past those temps...heat because a issue making the CPU unstable...

Also, make sure your AGP freq. is locked at 66Mhz...you might also have to set the AGP voltage to 1.6...mine gets freaky when running 200+FSB and 1.5v's...this is a recent NF7-S rev 2.0...You also shouldnt have to up the VDD (chipset) voltage until around 215 or so...

Also...my 2500 took around 2.05v's to run at 200FSB...2.2Ghz...
glock19owner is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 06:57 PM   #6
PhantomTa2

Quote:
Originally posted by Entimann
i set the fsb to cpu ration at 6/6.[/B]
Try putting the ratio from 6/6 to 5/5 or even 4/4, I know in theory it doesn't make a difference, but it does
PhantomTa2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 08:09 PM Thread Starter   #7
Entimann
Registered

how come in all the other threads people talk about flashing the bios and tictac's(what is that?) if all i have to do is make some changes in the bios?
Old 03-19-04, 08:12 PM   #8
{PMS}fishy
Senior A64 Killer

10 Year Badge

Quote:
how come in all the other threads people talk about flashing the bios and tictac's(what is that?) if all i have to do is make some changes in the bios?
Its a different BIOS version, not an offical Abit relase. It works for some and not for others. What version are you running right now?

You can find out when the MB posts. Its the last two numbers on the last line of the first post screen.

Trouble Shooting 101:
1. RTFM
2. Repeat Step 1

6ghz Club Member.

cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?
{PMS}fishy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 08:17 PM   #9
glock19owner

Quote:
Different BIOS bring different system performances...sometimes to the better, sometimes to the worse...

As for modded BIOS (TicTac)...he was able to fix a known issue that Abit had yet to fix...the 10 and 10.5 multiplier issues...most people could not boot up using either of those multipliers...and Abit ended up taking the options out of the last few BIOS updates instead of fixing the issue...

Plus modded BIOS's usally mean better performance then over offical BIOS versions...

Just take caution when flashing to any BIOS...a corrupt BIOS can come from a offical BIOS flash as well as from a modded BIOS...
Old 03-19-04, 08:18 PM   #10
{PMS}fishy
Senior A64 Killer

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by glock19owner

Different BIOS bring different system performances...sometimes to the better, sometimes to the worse...

As for modded BIOS (TicTac)...he was able to fix a known issue that Abit had yet to fix...the 10 and 10.5 multiplier issues...most people could not boot up using either of those multipliers...and Abit ended up taking the options out of the last few BIOS updates instead of fixing the issue...

Plus modded BIOS's usally mean better performance then over offical BIOS versions...

Just take caution when flashing to any BIOS...a corrupt BIOS can come from a offical BIOS flash as well as from a modded BIOS...
Who needs the 10 and 10.5 multiplier any more with these mobiles?

That problem worked itself out if you ask me.

Trouble Shooting 101:
1. RTFM
2. Repeat Step 1

6ghz Club Member.

cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?
{PMS}fishy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 08:31 PM   #11
glock19owner

not everyone is using the mobiles...and for the people that get up to 240+ FSB still use the 10 and 10.5's ...even when using a mobile...

It helped me since my 310 will only go up to 2.2...so 10 and 10.5 is still neccecary for my OC and high FSB...

But I was just explaining why the TicTac BIOS is/was so popular...and the main reason why it was written ...
Old 03-19-04, 10:02 PM Thread Starter   #12
Entimann
Registered

can i have two bioses and switch between them so that if one becomes corrupt then i can just switch to the other?

if not, what would i do to fix the bios if it did become corrupt?

where do i get the other bioses?

can you tell me which one i need to overclock it more?
Old 03-19-04, 10:10 PM   #13
glock19owner

I found Tictacs R2 version to be the best for me...

And what other Abit NF2 owners do...is just what has been stated...hot flash the old chip...

As for modding another BIOS chip like you mentioned...I honestly dont think it can be done...if so and was possible, I possible would of been on it and have done it already...

but hey, if you come across a mod to do that...then please post it...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards