• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500-m Burn in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brock8503

Registered
in the mobile thread one of the guys did a burn in and was able to achieve high speeds with less vcore, than his previous attempts. Will this help.i know that "burn in" is very controversial. Can anyone give the methods of doing it, i might want to try it out anyways if it does not hurt anything.

brock8503

It dosnt hurt anything. I burn in my Chips all the time. What you do is use the absolute minimal voltage for an OC.

Example you find:

2.5ghz @ 1.85v is stable.... so to burn a chip in you run a proggie like P95 and drop the volts.

2.5ghz isnt stable @ 1.725....Once you find instability you raise the volts just a hare so that you are using minimal power. From there you crank every stress proggie you can think of on.

Let that sit for several hours / days. If you do it right it will be stable at a lower voltage. With this, it should allow you to gain a higher top end.

Repeated use of this process is called "Burning In"

CPU Burn-in

CPU Burn-in is the ultimate stability testing tool for overclockers. The program heats up any x86 CPU to the maximum possible operating temperature that is achievable by using ordinary software. This allows the user to adjust the CPU speed up to the practical maximum while still being sure that stability is achieved even under the most stressful conditions. The program continuously monitors for erroneous calculations and errors ensuring the CPU does not generate errors during calculations performed under overclocking conditions.

thnx guys

i thought burn in was a little different but o well that clears up alot i will get on that now. so if i find the lowest stable vcore im then supposed to run stress progs again and after that i should be able to get lower vcores. what type of stress progs.

should i use the burn in prog
or prime95
to find lowest vcore

brock8503.

Last edited:
Acutally..burn in..was a old process you did when you built a old system...most parts needed to be "burned in" for 24 to 72hrs to make sure all parts did not fail...as expensive as computers where back then...you wanted to make sure all of your hardware was working before using it/them...

With todays hardware...just turning the system on will let you know if the hardware is going to fail right away...

NEVER go cheap on a PSU ;)...

Foltons
Thermaltake (w/active PFC (powerflow controller))
Antec True Power - (IMO, not all that great, but most people swear to them...I personally end up swearing at them)
PC Cooling

These are just a few...but well worth the prices...

my Antec 400SL has me glancing at it suspicously as well. my 12v always is 11.8-11.9, 3.3 is 3.22, +5vsb is sitting on 4.9
thankfully the abit board overvolts the ram-at 2.8 in bios (max) MBM shows 2.91-2.93 :D
vcore is always all over the place but i have attributed that in the past to the via chipset, they are usually known for that. hmm...
actually the +12v is mocking me right now by actually being 12v but thats just a fluke.

Have you added ramsinks to your mosefts?

This tends to help the voltage issues somewhat...makes them more stable...since the mosfets are controlling the voltage...

i truly need to do that, i have a freakin 80mm fan pointed at my mosfets right now, the ones nearest the socket actually affect cpu temps, the pcb is even hot to the touch there!

keep the fan and add ramsinks too them (the mosfets)...that is one of the hottest places on the NF2 MB's...the hottest is the NB...it can get a lot hotter then CPU's...

Also, I posted this a week or so back...I flashed to Tictacs R2 BIOS and I noticed my core voltage was overvolting now...and not just in MBM5 and the BIOS...my multieter shows it also...

example...when set to 2.05...it now runs at 2.08...

NF7 voltage read points

Back