• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Artic Silver good for Thermoelectric Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

For those of you who use Thermoelectric Cooling in you computers.

Well i own a Thermaltake Subzero4G for my secodary rig....my temps on that used to be around between 24c - 26c idle and 38c load with silcone acting as a thermal pad between the HS and CPU....but i know a lot of you use artic silver up in here for your CPU's and HS....so i was let me try this artic silver 5...i went and i bought one....but i wasn't too happy with the results at all. before artic silver was set my temps were about 34c at idle....and 42c at load....and after it got set (200+ hours) my temps went down to 32c idle and 39c load....since i wasnt too happy with the results i went back to my silicon which gave me normal results as before....24c - 26c idle....what im trying to say is that artic silver 5 is prolly good for regular copper base or aluminum base HS that don't have thermoelectric cooling....but silicone compound are good for thermoelectric units.....

thermoelectric cooling is still a cpu giving off heat to another piece of metal, so the material in the middle must be good at heat transfer so AS would be better than silicone for any type of heat transfer

but when u get AS5 did u use the proper instructions?

I never had probs with AS and a pelt. When I was using my pelt I was getting temps of as low as 3C idle but most the time idle was 9C and load was never higher then 13C.

Back