• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need best NB heatsink, nf7-s nb fan almost dead,making noises etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildfrogman

Atleast its a noisy death, hearing it spin slower then really fast rrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr etc. So, I will be calling up abit and having em send me a new one...probably use it on the southbridge ;) I am thinking a thermoEngine or thermaltake chrome orb maybe. Anybody know if those fit? Or atleast some other options for large nb cooling, thanks.

I cut up an old socket A HS and fashoined a hold down for it. It works way better than any of those small NB coolers.

I dont know if the chrome orb fits, Ive seen teh Vantec Icerberg on there. How do those compare in size?

Chrome orb... aka a non gold golden orb for socket A :) http://www.inflowdirect.com/therairk7dur.html a picture's worth a thousand words, Dimensions: 69dia x 45 mm tall. I think its a bit large for a northbridge heatsink or atleast will need heavy modding.

This though looks like it could work out better,
Thermoengine.... http://www.inflowdirect.com/thercpucoolf.html Dimensions: 63mm x 63mm x 58mm (includes original fan)

Hopefully one of these could work out. I am open to other heatsinks but would prefer something fairly large..aka as large as can physically fit! :D

I think you would be best with something that is square. That way you can cut it down if need be.

The sink that I fit on my MB is 60mm x 60mm and its a really tight fit.

The water block is right above it, and there are a few caps right bellow.

If you click on the link in my above post, you will find out that is not a CPU heatsink, but a swiftech NB heatsink...

These have been rated the best NB heatsinks...not by reviewers...but by overclockers...most of the members at XS that run air run the swiftech NB heatsink...this actually beats the Microcool NB heatsink by a few C's...

Yeah, probably should oil up the fan with some oil I have laying around...its a horrible noisy little fan now.I can get abit to send me a new one though since the fans arnt supposed to die. I dont use wd-40 on fans, glad if it works out ok for you but I prefer other stuff. Wonder if the southbridge passive cooled with that northbridge heatsink would work...hmm.

Back