• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling removal problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silentzero

Registered
Hi guys,

I was going to do the pencil trick, but I couldn't remove my fan at all (cooler)! I have done it once before, and it was pretty easy, but now it's really hard and I feel that I have to push down REALLY hard to get it unstuck, but I'm scared of damageing my system.

coolerunit.gif

This is what my cooler looks like from the side, theres a metal ledge that you have to push down .. but I don't really know how to do it properly :(

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-silentzer0

Just dont push down on the heatsink you might crush your core.
You should only push on the clip part that attaches to the mounting lugs on the side of the socket.

My case has a mobo tray so when it came time for me to unlock my CPU i had good access to the heatsink. My thermoengine just didn't wanna budge. I ended up having to put all my weight on the screwdriver handle in the clip just to losen the clip enough to slowly slide off. It was insanity. I heard a really loud -CRACK- while I was doing this too. When I got the heatsink off, to my surprise, the chip was still in perfect condition. I checked the mobo, socket, chip, heatsink, heatsink clip, mobo tray and even the screwdriver and to this day still don't know what that crack was. I closed my L1's, put everything back together and fired her up with no problems.

Back